Stuck Yeast! Help with Scottish beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
Hey guys - brewed a scottish 80 shilling last friday (jan 9). Recipe below but the OG was 1.053 (right on the money). Checked the gravity yesterday after 7 days and its 1.030. Crap! Needs to finish 1.016 or less. Tasted good and surprisingly, it wasn't overly sweet. Regardless I have a problem! should I pitch more yeast here??? I used Windsor Dry Yeast. Any other options on how to fix?
thanks for your help!

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Honey Malt
8.0 oz Munich Malt
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
3.0 oz Chocolate Malt (400.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0

Relax a little. You're trying to rush the yeast and they don't respond to being rushed. At 7 days you beer isn't done yet or you took the reading with a refractometer without using the correction tables. I typically leave my beers in the primary fermenter for 3 or more weeks so the yeast has time to finish the job.

Appreciate the response. I used a hydrometer that's accurate and at 7 days Windsor is usually done. I usually leave for three weeks too but no significant fermentation is done after the first week at this OG. Key word is significant. It's at 1.030. That's a LONG way to go to hit 1.016 after the first week. Not sure if your experience is otherwise with stuck fermentations but I don't think this is normal and want to get out in front of this if possible.

What was the mash temp? What is the current fermentation temp? Windsor can flocculate early, you might try warming and rousing the yeast off the bottom by swirling the fermentor.

Mash temp was 158 F and I fermented in the mid-60's. I swirled the fermenter last night. But am wondering if I need to pitch more yeast.

Mash temp was 158 F and I fermented in the mid-60's. I swirled the fermenter last night. But am wondering if I need to pitch more yeast.

I'd suggest that since you have the yeast suspended again by swirling, you warm the beer up to the mid 70's to encourage the yeast. I don't think pitching more of the same yeast will help.

+1 to that.
If the beer hasn't budged or has stopped dropping in a week it is probably done. I'd give it 2 weeks just to be safe.
BTW, 158 mash temp is going to leave a higher FG. Calculated FG is just that, an estimate. If it tastes good and is finished enjoy it regardless the gravity.

Latest posts

Back