Stuck sparge prevention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtydingus

Reaction score
I use a SS hose in the bottom of my 10 gal MLT to drain my mash. Am fixing to brew my 1st wheat beer(I don't like it, it's for someone else). What are some of your suggestions to prevent a stuck sparge. I keep reading about rice hulls, but I thought that was for the false bottom MLT's. Thanx.

a couple of really good handfuls should suffice. You want the grains to look like they all had the hulls on them. They are so cheap though that even a half pound wouldn't be too crazy.

It'll vary a bit from setup to setup. For example, mash tun diameter and grain bed depth will impact how much you use. My mash tun is round and about 15" in diameter. I've recently done a rye beer and a wheat beer. The rye was a five gallon batch with about 40% rye malt and the wheat was a 10 gallon batch, also about 40% but a blend of flaked wheat an wheat malt. I used about half a pound on the rye and a whole pound on the wheat. I'd probably start off the 1/4 to 1/2 a pound on most five gallon batches if you're using up to 40% wheat.

The 100% sure-fire way to prevent stuck sparges is.....

To use a BIAB as a liner for your mash tun. I went to JoAnn Fabrics and got a few yards of the fabric (voile - it is in the back on BIG spools...). I then cut off a section big enough to line the mash tun with lots of excess hanging over the side. I didn't sew it in a bag shape... I just hemmed the cut edges.

Gather up the excess when you lift the grains and it works perfect. No stuck sparges. at all. ever. :rockin:

Don't know why more people don't do this. It is so very simple.

Latest posts

Back