Stuck Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OG was 1.048. I fermented with WLP568 for 3 weeks at 80F. It's now holding steady at 1.024.

I'm thinking about pouring in some English Ale yeast to finish it off.

Thoughts?

thats the saison blend right? Ive never used the blend, but the normal saison yeast that ive used multiple times always stalled out for me. Others have had success keeping real warm and agitating, but I havent, always had to finish it off with another yeast.

Ive heard som egood stuff about the french saison limited release from wyeast, but because of myu past experiences, I wont use the wl saison yeast anymore.

I'm planning a Saison soon so I listened to a podcast of The Jamil Show. The one they did on Saisons you can find online here or at iTunes. They suggested Notty, Safale US-05, or even a wine yeast if I remember correctly. Perhaps you could swirl the yeast back into suspension and hope it starts back up.

I used this once and had to get it into the 90s to finish.

I'll say it again, I cant stand these damned saison strains. they must hate me or something.

+1 on the Wyeast 3711. Finishing out your saison with another yeast will get it down, but won't dry it out the way a saison should be. If you can get some 3711 to pitch in there, it'll get it LOW.

I just finished a saison with that yeast. I had mine up to 90 and was agitating it daily. I eventually got it down to 1.016 with a target of 1.013. Close enough.

Took about 5 weeks all together.

There is nothing wrong with the yeast. It just takes PATIENCE. Mine took a full 8 weeks to finish. If your not up to the wait just use the 3711. From everything I've heard it's a race car compared to the du Pont strain.

Latest posts

Back