Stuck plug in regulator: Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a regulator with a low side only gauge. I'd like to add a high side gauge. Having trouble getting the plug out. It's left hand thread. Not getting enough purchase with an allen wrench, and it's NOT a hex (outside) only driven by an allen inside.

Thoughts? I am thinking added heat would be bad for the internals. Cold has been tried.

I wouldn't add heat unless you completely disassembled the whole thing. You could try drilling a hole and using an extractor, but I haven't had much luck with them. If all else fails and enough of the plug is sticking out, use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut a slot for a large slotted screwdriver. Keep in mind, if this doesn't work, you probably won't ever get it out.

That's about what I figured. Right now I'm expecting this will be a low side only tool. I suppose I could work a T fitting in somehow with a high side gauge. My intended use is for force carb, so not the end of the world I suppose.

Latest posts

Back