stuck at 1.020 (new problem)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started an IPA for a friends wedding coming up in June using almost the same recipe I have used multiple times in the past.
#10 Vanguard Pilsen
#0.5 60L
#0.5 40L
#0.25 Caraamber
#0.25 Honey malt
using 3 oz Sterling, 2 oz Crystal, and 2 oz Citra hops throughout.

I mashed in at 155 F for 60 minutes
Sparged twice with 170 F water
Boiled 60 minutes, cooled to 46 F (quickley brought up to ~68 over 24 hours), then pitched the yeast (1 pack US-05)
OG: 1.060

Fermentation was going full-bore by 24 hours, and kept going through the week.
I left it at ~68 until 3 weeks when I transferred it to bottle, but I checked a gravity reading really quick. 1.021. Every time I have made my IPA/PA's with 1 packet US-05, they have finished by bottling at 3 weeks between 1.008-1.004. I also made a PA in tandem with this one, which is stuck at 1.019 right now.
So I brought them both up a couple degrees (warmer part of the house) after shaking them for a little extra airation to try to kick start fermentation again, and I waited 1 week.
Just checked them again, and they are in the same place 1.021/1.019 respectively.
I just aerated again, and placed them in an even warmer part of the house and added 1/2 pack to each of US-05.

I also checked my gravity meter in plain old water, and it comes in at 1.000 flat.

Any other ideas on what I should do? Or why this is happening? ANY help is appreciated!!

mash temp of 155 is high for an IPA..i'd still think it would get down to at least 1.015 though. you could always pitch some 3711...that will dry your beer out.

I'd say that they are not stuck at all. Rather fermentation looks to be complete. Considering that you had a mash of 155 and 13% crystal malts, you should have a much higher level or residual (unfermentable) sugars in your wort.

The malt bill for my IPA's contain less that 2-3% crystal and are mashed between 148-150 degrees.

It is what it is at this point. Leave it for another week or so, dry hop and enjoy.

Agree with the above, its not stuck at all, its done.
Aerating the beer at this point would be a mistake. How does it taste?
If its just too sweet I'd go for a decent charge of Citra dry hop to try and balance it.

I put the recipe in BeerSmith and it gives me a predicted final gravity of 1.011. Since you added more yeast, give it another week or two to see it if eats any remaining sugar. Just and FYI, you should gently swirl the carboy to rouse the yeast, not shake like when you aerate like at pitching.

I am using a hydrometer and yes, I am using a calculator for temperature adjustment as well.

In the past, I have mashed closer to 152, not 155, but I have mashed at 154 without this problem, and I have usually used that much adjunct malt.

When I said I aerated, I meant a rough swirling motion while the lid of the bucket was closed.

It only tastes slightly sweet, so I was somewhat surprised with the gravity readings.

You must have killed off too much of the beta amylase enzymes mashing at 155 F instead of your usual 152 F.

Also, your mash thermometer might have drifted, i.e., actual temperature a little higher than it reads, so calibrate that in boiling water and/or with other thermometers and see what you get.

And like others mentioned... that's a lot of crystal malts. Reduce that down for better results.

Also possible -- maybe you accidentally used more crystal than you thought? I've done that before -- accidentally used 2 lb instead of 1 lb, weighed it wrong or whatever. Did your original gravity turn out higher than you expected? Probably not, but it's a slight possibility (probably happens once or twice out of every hundred batches for the typical brewer).

And maybe you just got bum yeast. I think that is very unlikely, but possible.

When I said I aerated, I meant a rough swirling motion while the lid of the bucket was closed.

Ah I see. Didn't read all the comments very closely.

I think if you're trying to add more yeast it'd be a good idea to make a starter so the yeast are active and healthy before pitching. It's probably a pretty hostile environment to pitch right into fermented beer.

I just experienced this same exact senario. Pitched a nice healthy starter of Omega DIPA yeast and it stopped at 1.023 after 2 weeks. Started at 1.069. I used 2 lbs of crystal 40 and 8 oz of carapils along with the 12 lbs of 2 row. Never had a batch quit on me. So I also mashed at 154 with a ph of 5.1 for 60 min. All my temps were good. Gave the yeast a rousing and brought the temp up from 65 to 68 degrees. It dropped to 1.021 a week later and now it has a wonderful oxidized flavor of wet cardboard to pair with the sweet residual sugar.

So much for my competition IPA.

I just experienced this same exact senario. Pitched a nice healthy starter of Omega DIPA yeast and it stopped at 1.023 after 2 weeks. Started at 1.069. I used 2 lbs of crystal 40 and 8 oz of carapils along with the 12 lbs of 2 row. Never had a batch quit on me. So I also mashed at 154 with a ph of 5.1 for 60 min. All my temps were good. Gave the yeast a rousing and brought the temp up from 65 to 68 degrees. It dropped to 1.021 a week later and now it has a wonderful oxidized flavor of wet cardboard to pair with the sweet residual sugar.

So much for my competition IPA.

With 2 #'s of c40 and 8 oz of carapils in that recipe you would be hard pressed to avoid sweetness and a mouthfeel to compliment it.

At which point do you believe you oxidized? A rousing shouldn't oxidize.

I Used the end of a plastic mash paddle to strip the yeast cake in the 6.5'gal glass carboy. I don't think that oxidation is possible since I pushed everything with co2 after primary. But there is a distinctive off flavor that i perceive as wet cardboard. Also it has a residual sweetness that makes it not very pleasant to drink although i added 3 oz of dry hops to the secondary. This exact same senario happened to me 2 batches ago with the same yeast strain also resisted from a prior batch. Maybe my yeast propagation skills are the issue here.

Latest posts

Back