Strawberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
This is my first ever batch of Strawberry Wine. We have a awesome little strawberry farm here in town. They have the most flavorful strawberries ive ever had and at a good price. I picked right at 106 pounds through my handful of trips to the farm. My goal was to get 10 gallons of finished product and while that will not happen I am still very excited about this wine. I used 0 water with this wine and did not follow a recipe.

I cut the green tops off of each berry and split them. After I had processed about a gallon of berries I sprinkled some sugar on them and stirred them real good and put them into quart freezer bags. I let them sit in the fridge over night and then into the freezer. The berries released some juice in the fridge but when they came out of the freezer and thawed the entire bag was pretty much juice and the berries completely macerated. After thawing I poured all the juice into a bucket and gave the fruit a light squeeze to get any extra juice out. In the end I had almost 6 gallons of juice and 5 gallons of fruit. I put all the fruit in panty hose and used a 32 gallon brute trash to ferment in. I added my campden tablets and pectic enzyme to the must. The SG before any addition of sugar was 1.040 and after adding 7 ½ pounds of sugar I had the SG at 1.080. My initial PH reading was 3.65 and I got it to the target PH of 3.4. I let this sit for 24 hours and pitched my yeast. I used Montrachet red star. I accidently added all my yeast nutrient at once instead of step feeding it. Not sure what happened there but I will chalk it up as a brain fart because I knew better. I was concerned about having a problem ferment but everything worked out. By 5/24 the must had reached the dry stage and I racked into the secondary.

The first day

F6C999A5-E694-4C2D-9C13-076E5C3A43ED_1.jpg

After pitching the yeast

F390DBB6-6AFA-4EEA-BD9F-02628CC67602.jpg

The morning after racking to secondary. I could not find my half gallon jug so I used the gallon for the time being. It is now in the half gallon jug. My 2 glass carboys are currently in use so I used some purified water jugs I had.

13D75B12-7EC7-49C2-9148-A26CD93A0133.jpg

There is a great many lees in the middle jug. They have since settled more. After my first racking I anticipate on having roughly 8 gallons.

Looks great so far. I would bet there being a ton of lees. Keep us updated on tasting notes. I love the taste of a strawberry mead or wine, alas... I am allergic to strawberries so I have to take liquid Benadryl in order to drink the wine first lol.

That is the way to make a great strawberry wine, no water. Want to kick it up another notch? Get about 10 more pounds of strawberries, split them like you did before and add them to your carboys now while they are still slowly finishing up, that will boost the strawberry nose of the wine even more, when you open a bottle up it will fill the room with strawberry summer sunshine. Another good notcherupper is to add just a little oak, just enough to be in the background and not compete at all with the strawberry but enough to add some tannins in the background. Glad you didnt have any trouble with Montrachet, it can really rhino fart if not fed well, Pasteur Red and K1V116 as well as others I think are a better choice with less problems. Another notch up is to use honey instead of sugar, maybe save that one for next season. WVMJ

I'm wondering how you put the oak into it and how many strawberries do I need to pick?. .this will be my very first attempt at it. ...thanks

@ JagerbombZ: In the 4th sentence it says the OP picked 106 pounds of strawberries.

Yea...after I posted I did more research. ...im not goin that big...I dont wanna go over two bottles if I can help it

Plus, with bigger batches you loose porportionally a lot less wine during rackings vs a gallon batch. WVMJ

Same amount of work, time and effort required to do 1 gallon as 6 gallons. Much bigger requires just more room and the time to move that uch liquid around.

That is a lot of strawberries most recipes call for 3-5 pounds/gallon. But of course you have to add water. I be interested in seeing how it comes out. I just started a 6 gal batch using Jack Kellers #4 recipe.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques5.asp

Bama i hope it turns out as well as it looks like it will. I have been greedy with some peach and blackberry wines in the past and added water because i wanted more volume! I ended up with a weak diluted flavor...and these were both with fresh super ripe fruit that i picked at farms. When i take a smell of this strawberry it is like the most delicious strawberry pie ever. The smell will almost knock you over.

That is the way to make a great strawberry wine, no water. Want to kick it up another notch? Get about 10 more pounds of strawberries, split them like you did before and add them to your carboys now while they are still slowly finishing up, that will boost the strawberry nose of the wine even more, when you open a bottle up it will fill the room with strawberry summer sunshine. Another good notcherupper is to add just a little oak, just enough to be in the background and not compete at all with the strawberry but enough to add some tannins in the background. Glad you didnt have any trouble with Montrachet, it can really rhino fart if not fed well, Pasteur Red and K1V116 as well as others I think are a better choice with less problems. Another notch up is to use honey instead of sugar, maybe save that one for next season. WVMJ

Could you help a novice out and explain what you mean by "adding a little oak"? oak chips?

THanks

Interesting recipe in the sense that you used no water; I'm curious to see how this turns out. I'm going to guess that it'll be a bit on the tart side, at least when young. Sometimes the excess tartness can be aged out though. Just for future ref, if you plan to do a similar recipe, you might consider juicing those berries. It would certainly cut down on the lees you have to deal with. Keep us updated on your progress.
Regards, GF.

A few oak chips, a handful of oakmor powder, some oak beans, a stave or spiral, whatever you favorite form of oak is. There was an article in WMM a few years ago, this winery used 100% strawberries, no water, took a while for the berries to thaw out in thier big tanks but they let the fruit thaw, I think they chucked in some pectinase and yeast and away it went. When we open a bottle of strawberry made from all berries and no juice it fills the room up with strawberry, its like it springtime again. We made a melomel last batch, even better!! WVMJ

Latest posts

Back