Strawberry Rhino Fart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure it qualifies as a rhino fart cuz it's not really a sulphurous smell, but it really farging reaks. I do understand that nasty smells during fermentations are normal, but as far as dissipation... would it be more likely to dissipate during a bulk age under airlock, or just bottle it whenever and age in the bottle under a cork?

How far along are you now? Is this in primary and fermenting now or cleared and close to bottling? If in primary then my catch all for getting rid of bad smells is whip it, whip it & whip it some more. With a good drill powered wine whip (commercial or home made) whip the wine twice daily till smells go away. Also another round of yeast nutrient can help as well.

it started during the last day I had it in primary, I think the strawberry started to rot.

So I was suspicious of the lack of bubbles in one airlock and a few per couple seconds in another. I added some to all 3 and gave them shaky shake and they foamed up good then subsided. I decided for the hell of it to take a reading and it's already .990! Well, it has been 11 days tho. I remember my apple batches taking a few weeks to get down to 990 but they also had a LOT higher gravity. So now I'll let it all settle again for another week and then rack again and whip the pis out of it, try get that stinky gas out of it! I hope. Then I'll rack till clear on a 30 day cycle and whip the piss out of it again before bottling

Latest posts

Back