Stout Tap (Stainless)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the first one, it works well so far. It will leak after use... but there is no way to prevent this, it's just beer sitting on top of the restrictor plate.

1st is tapright second is micromatic, price difference is brand.

If I keg a stout do I NEED a stout faucet?

No. I kegged stouts for years before I finally added a nitro system and a stout faucet.
Wouldn't part with them now.

fwiw, I have the Micromatic stout faucet and the thing is a total war club compared to the more traditional style ala the Taprite model linked...

Cheers!

Was there any real issues pouring stouts from a regular faucet? I understand a stout faucet works a lot better. Just wondering. I only have one tap and would prefer not to be changing anything if possible

Never had any issues, but the pour was the same as any other ale.
The pour from a nitro-driven stout faucet is quite different from dispensing the same beer - albeit carbed higher - through a standard faucet.
If set up and used properly the mouthfeel from the former is far creamier than the latter...

Cheers!

Was there any real issues pouring stouts from a regular faucet? I understand a stout faucet works a lot better. Just wondering. I only have one tap and would prefer not to be changing anything if possible

Stout faucets are only needed for nitro beers, the most "commonly" known being Guinness.

No. I kegged stouts for years before I finally added a nitro system and a stout faucet.
Wouldn't part with them now.

fwiw, I have the Micromatic stout faucet and the thing is a total war club compared to the more traditional style ala the Taprite model linked...

Cheers!

By war club do you mean heavier?? I bought the taprite model simply b/c I didn't like the plastic on the other one, is it actually better quality?

[...]By war club do you mean heavier?? I bought the taprite model simply b/c I didn't like the plastic on the other one, is it actually better quality?

The body & stem are a massive chunk of stainless, and the lever mechanicals are chunky as well.
It's like the gorilla version of a stout faucet :)

faucets_03.jpg

One up side of that long stem is the tip of the spout hits the middle of the drip tray like all the "normal" faucets.

faucets_02.jpg

I call it "Studley" ;)
faucets_04.jpg

The Taprite (which looks like any classic stout faucet) is dainty by comparison.

I can't compare the "quality" as I only own the one.
It works perfectly - even the creamer mode works - and it is easy to remove the sparkler assembly for cleaning.

I bought this one back when nobody made a full-stainless stout faucet (choices back then were brass and chromed brass) and other than the spout this one is full stainless.

For those who know about these things, it has the same problem as the Taprite design: beer lingers inside the spout.
I pulled a bedtime pour last night and capped it (using a carboy cap...cap. The smaller one fits tight) and as shown it still dribbled overnight...

Cheers!

If that was directed at me, I can't say one way or the other which of those two faucets is "better".
I can say I know of no supplier of a stainless spout for the Micromatic...

Cheers!

The Tapright is also bigger than my standard Perlicks as well as significantly taller... Does align on the drip tray as well.

2016-10-05 22.51.35.jpg

2016-10-05 22.51.22.jpg

I have the Taprite as I was looking for an all stainless stout faucet. It has worked well for me. I've taken it apart and it is quite solid. Compared to an Guinness one I got from a friend it is equally robust. I doubt the micromatic weighs any more than the taprite.

A recent trip to Ireland had me scratching my head...all the Guinness Stout faucets all had the plastic nozzle like the micromatic model. Why not all metal I wondered. But the beer tasted good!

I have the Taprite as I was looking for an all stainless stout faucet. It has worked well for me. I've taken it apart and it is quite solid. Compared to an Guinness one I got from a friend it is equally robust. I doubt the micromatic weighs any more than the taprite.

A recent trip to Ireland had me scratching my head...all the Guinness Stout faucets all had the plastic nozzle like the micromatic model. Why not all metal I wondered. But the beer tasted good!

I'm sure plastic is fine, especially just for beer. I'm just super picky and replaced all the plastic on all of my faucets including the collars with stainless, tap handles etc. I guess I should keep with the theme and get the taprite.

I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow, but I haven't even started a stout yet. I think it's going to get used for Cold Brewed Coffee first.

I've been unscrewing the nozzle after a pour. As soon as it comes off, the beer on top of the restrictor plate drains through. There will usually be another drip inside the body you can coax out by touching it with your finger. I wish they had a valve of some sort that could drain this out, or maybe a forward sealing design that kept it from dripping after a pour. Aside from that, nitro is awesome.

The seal would have to be glass side of the restrictor plate to stop it from dripping! I do the same thing you do and just remove and drain the tip when done with it for the day.

Back