Stout Recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Howdy all. I'm looking to do a harvest stout and was looking for some input. Here's what I have up to this point:

6# maris otter or golden promise
2# rye malt
2# flaked spelt
2# red wheat
8 oz. roasted barley
12 oz. black patent
8 oz. crystal 120
1 oz. target at 90 mins
1 oz. fuggles at 10 mins and flameout
looking to to use the yorkshire square yeast i'm looking to mash around 156 and do a 90 minute boil (ultimately end up with 5 gallons of wort).

this is my first shot at a homegrown stout recipe, so any input would be great.

Smoked malt may work better, less quantity of course, then would lose the spelt

i could get rid of the spelt, but i'm really wanting to use non-barley fermentables. i'm also considering getting rid of the fuggles and using fresh Mt. Hoods...kind of goes with the harvest theme.

That's a crapload of black patent. It it was me, I'd sub that for 4 oz of black patent. Maybe make up the difference with 8 oz of chocolate barley.

I'll have to plug that in and see what it looks like. Getting excited to work this out and hammer it out.

what's your target OG? you could be approaching imperial stout territory depending on your efficiency

Regarding this bit:
8 oz. roasted barley
12 oz. black patent
8 oz. crystal 120
1. I think the ratio of roasted malts to caramel malts leans a little hard to the roasted side.
2. Often people will say to save black patent for a porter and to use roasted barley in a stout. It's also unusual to see more than 8 oz black patent

You might consider simply dropping the black patent

I'll consider that. I'm also wondering about hops. Should I have a 60 minute addition with the 90 minute boil?

I'm looking at about a 1.070 OG. I'm usually within a few points of my brewsmith target. I don't want it to be too big. I could always back my wheat/rye/spelt down to one pound each.

I'll consider that. I'm also wondering about hops. Should I have a 60 minute addition with the 90 minute boil?
i wouldn't think so, just get the ibu in the right range. i don't see any sense in dividing the hops and doing half at 60 and half at 90 but you could if you wanted to.

i just looked at your fuggles addition -- one ounce at 10min and one ounce at flameout -- and to me that is a lot of fuggle and a lot of late addition hops for a stout.

Wow, I hope you like black patent malt because that's a ton of it! Personally, I hate the stuff and have banned it from my stout recipes. It is entirely not needed and IMHO ruins the beer.

the Yorky isn't set in stone.

I see what you did there. Well played. :rockin:

And as for the patent, to each his own. I use roughly 1.5lbs of the stuff in my RIS, and love the results. Don't fear the patent. In larger quantities, it's much smoother than roasted barley, I find.

So one of the things i've been worried about is color; with that being said, i've looked at some specialty malts that may help. i'm thinking maybe a quarter or half oz. of midnight wheat or blackprinz. i know there's a lot going on in this beer, but i really like the idea of doing something involving a variety of fermentables.

So one of the things i've been worried about is color; with that being said, i've looked at some specialty malts that may help. i'm thinking maybe a quarter or half oz. of midnight wheat or blackprinz. i know there's a lot going on in this beer, but i really like the idea of doing something involving a variety of fermentables.
i love carafa iii for color. it also gives some nice smooth chocolatey type flavors with no bitterness (it is dehusked), which may work well in your recipe. anywhere between 2 ounces and 8 ounces would be fine.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396833143.007022.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Made a few changes to the recipe......well. Cut out the spelt, no carafa added midnight wheat. Turned out to be pretty damned good!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back