Stout Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCheezle

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I’m looking for some input to build up a stout recipe.
I’d like to have a stout on tap that my wife would enjoy. She’s not a big fan of the roasty flavours but enjoys more of the coffee/chocolate.

Anyone have any good recipes?

If you don't have a recipe why not get a kit? If she isn't into the roasted flavors of a stout try a milk stout you can find one on most any reputable site like MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, Adventures in Home Brewing and you can get them all grain or extract amongst many other stout options. Also we have a recipe section available on this site you may find something of interest to you there. Best of luck

Hey folks,
I’m looking for some input to build up a stout recipe.
I’d like to have a stout on tap that my wife would enjoy. She’s not a big fan of the roasty flavours but enjoys more of the coffee/chocolate.

Anyone have any good recipes?

I made one recently that I think fits your description pretty well. I used a combination of chocolate malt and black patent instead of roasted barley. The BP is quite a bit smoother than RB, in my estimation. I also included C80 which added some complexity and helped round out the flavors. It tasted smooth as soon as I had it kegged. Going from memory:

OATMEAL STOUT 1.050
72.5% 2 Row
10% C80
7.5% Rolled oats
5% Chocolate
5% Black Patent
Cascade hops @ 60 to 26 ibu
WY 1968 London ESB

90 minute mash @ 150F. Adjusted mash pH to 5.5.

I'm glad I went with WY1968, as it works fast and drops clear very quickly. I think that helped make it so smooth right away, as any harshness dropped out of solution without extended aging.

Maybe a Chocolate Porter?

Well designed Porters tend to be quite a bit less roasty than Stouts. Try using lighter varieties of dehusked roasted malts, or roasted wheat malts where possible. A good Porter should still be transparent against a medium strong light source, having a deep reddish brown hue, not impenetrably black.

My wife won't drink Stouts. But she'll enjoy a Porter when I nudge her on enough. And ask for seconds.

Extract or all grain?

Back