Stout question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draken

Reaction score
I brewed my 1st ever stout... after 20 batches or so. The wort is dense and syrupy.. not in a bad way, I've had commercial examples that are even more syrup like in consistency, but I wasn't expecting it really.

So the question, will it thin out with fermentation?
OG 1.073 (should be 1.069)'expecting it to end around 1.020

Grain bill and yeast? The dark color is probably fooling you into thinking it is syrupy.

No the drinking of the sample I pulled post boil is making me think it's syrupy :rockin:.

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it's a deschutes obsidian stout clone (from this forum) with 1968 London ESB ale yeast.

Thats such a fantastic beer, roasted coffee flavor with a good hit of hops. 1968 will give a nice malt backbone to that roasted coffee, so some toffee.

Ive not brewed the clone, but if it mimics the real deal, it won't be syrupy.

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it's a deschutes obsidian stout clone (from this forum) with 1968 London ESB ale yeast.

We can wait a few hours for the recipe, or you could always link to it if it was from this site. Linking to the lab's description of the yeast would also be helpful.

I brewed my 1st ever stout... after 20 batches or so. The wort is dense and syrupy.. not in a bad way, I've had commercial examples that are even more syrup like in consistency, but I wasn't expecting it really.

So the question, will it thin out with fermentation?
OG 1.073 (should be 1.069)'expecting it to end around 1.020
Hi. As long as it's not cloyingly sweet, that nice thick mouthfeel can be highly desirable in a good stout or porter. Many people add oatmeal to help get that creamy mouthfeel, so you should be happy. Ed
:mug:

recipe link

Yeast link

All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1067
FG 1017-1020
SRM 48
73.4 IBUs

90 min boil

WLP002 or Wyeast 1968. Ferment at 65F to start and increase to

11.9 lbs US 2-row
1.43 lbs black barley malt
1.1 lbs crystal 80
0.66 lbs carapils
0.66 lbs munich 10l
0.66 lbs wheat
50g roasted barley

30g Galena 13%AAat 90min
30g Williamette 5%AA at 30min
30g Northern Brewer 9%AA at 5min

Mash at 149F

I missed the mash on the low side 147.6, and scaled the recipe for 75% efficiency.

So far I've found massive tolerance in the darks I've done - they are all coming out very very drinkable - I had one I was concerned about but even that after a couple of weeks turned out top shelf - a couple are better than anything dark I've ever had commercially before

The problem is I only really like a porter one in every 3 or 4 beers and my lights are still work in progress

Back