Stout question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick question, I'm doing a dry stout for the first time and I only have chinook and willamette hops. Which would be best? Or is it down to preference?

I don't think you will get any flavor from your hop addition in a stout. Assuming you aren't doing any late editions of hops of course.
The stouts I've made only have 60 minute hop additions. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

BJCP says "Low to no hop aroma." I generally don't do any aroma hop additions on my dry Irish stouts either. If it were my beer (and my hops) I'd add just enough chinook at 60 to hit my target IBUs (BJCP: 30-45). If you want to add a small aroma addition around 15/10 minutes I'd go with a small amount of willamette. Happy brewing -- a dry Irish stout is a fine thing indeed.

I'd use the Willamette hops, as they're closer to a british style. And you won't get very much flavor from a 60 minute addition. I recently brewed an oatmeal stout with a 60 minute addition of Willamette to get ~30 IBUs and it tastes good.

Cheers. I have never used either. I live in the UK and decided to stock up on American hops. But I need to make a stout for Xmas and I'm low on money so ill need to use either of these hops. I don't really want aroma so I take it ill go with the highest AA%

In my Irish stout, I only do 2 oz. of EKG at 60 min. (37.1 IBU) Like slarkin said, with only 1 addition at 60 min, the willamette would work fine.

Back