Stout polished my copper IC should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a milk stout and while rinsing my well-used copper IC I noticed some really shiny spots on it. It quickly became apparent that I could basically just wipe off all of the oxidation on any part of the chiller that had been in the wort. I brew 2-3 times per month and don't recall this happening before (though I only brew one or two stouts per year). Is it something I should be worried about? Is it possibly because the wort is a little more acidic since it has more roasted grain than the styles I usually brew?

Every time I use my IC it's nice and shiny right after... Given a few days, the patina starts to come back (from the air)...

I wouldn't worry about it... Just wipe any drek from it as you're cleaning it off and you should be fine...

My IC has a nice line of 'pretty, shiny, fresh' copper that was in wort, sharply contacting 'nasty, weathered, old' copper that sits above the waterline. I consider my brew sessions an opportunity to clean all my copper fittings. As a side note, if you have an Cu in your kettle (diptube, etc.) do you notice them being shiny as well? Mine are always clean and pretty after a brew. In fact all my Cu stuff stays fairly clean always, and I brew maybe once a month. Kyle

As long as there were no green copper oxides visible before you started, you should be fine, the yeast like/need copper and will clean it out of your finished beer.

It happen s all the time. Some even believe that the copper in the boil is good for fermentation. They believe it is actually good for yeast.

BrewingTechniques' Magazine September/October 1996 said:
Yeast also requires trace amounts of copper for its metabolism, and some modern all-stainless steel breweries have had to add copper to prevent hung fermentations.

You'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back