Stout completely flat after over 1 week.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I made some cooper stout kit and i added 1 tsp brown sugar to each 12 ounce bottle and none is carbed in the slightest after about 10 days.

The English bitter and and amber ale have take on some carb, but its mainly foam that leaves no carbonation after its chilled.

I used this brown light cane sugar before at 1/2 tsp ( packed) and it didn't carb anything well so i stepped it up to 1 tsp ( i think unpacked, so roughly 3-4 grams per beer) .... I realized now this could bring my beer up to 4.0 volumes of pressure if i packed it well because its close to 1 cup (8 ounces) priming for 5 gallons.

After giving the beer time to carb at room temperature, did you move the beer to the refrigerator to allow the co2 to dissolve into solution?

After giving the beer time to carb at room temperature, did you move the beer to the refrigerator to allow the co2 to dissolve into solution?

I only moved the beer I was trying to test to the refrigerator, The rest is stored away in case of bottle bombs in the basement that sits at about 16 -17 degrees.

10 days is too short. Assuming that the sugar is the right amount. It will take about 3 weeks at 70 degrees then a day or 3 in the fridge to carbonate properly.

In the future use an online calculator to determine the proper amount of priming sugar. Weigh it out. Make a priming solution by boiling the sugar in a couple cups of water and add it to your bottling bucket. Make the siphon swirl or stir (very gently) to mix it in well.

Latest posts

Back