Stout bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balbybrewer

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm very new to homebrewing and forums so don't even know if I've posted this correctly, but here goes. I'm wanting to brew an Irish stout and I've been told that I need dark bottles but someone else as told me that I can do it in clear as long as its kept in the dark. What do I believe or are they both correct? Or is legging a better option?
Thanks in advance.

Dinoo0 said:
Hi there, I'm very new to homebrewing and forums so don't even know if I've posted this correctly, but here goes. I'm wanting to brew an Irish stout and I've been told that I need dark bottles but someone else as told me that I can do it in clear as long as its kept in the dark. What do I believe or are they both correct? Or is legging a better option?
Thanks in advance.

I would go with "as long as its kept in the dark". Beers stored in clear bottles that are exposed to the light can pick up a "skunky" flavor...so as long as you keep them in a relatively dark place I'm sure they'll be fine. I believe by "legging" u meant kegging, which I believe is an easier option, not necessarily a better option. I keg almost all my beers, but am looking to return to bottle condition a few batches soon. Cheers!

Cheers mate, yeah I ment kegging ( damn predictive typing) lol I have already bottled a Czech pilsner and kegged an English smooth bitter. Have you been doing it a while? Eventually I want to start experimenting with my beers but as my local brew shop said don't run before you can walk!!

The only advantage to dark bottles is that they keep light out. If the beer is stored in the dark, there is no advantage.

Kegging won't improve your beer. It will only ease packaging and access.

I've only been brewing for a year, but I'm pretty extreme when I get into something new, so I've done more reading than I'd care to admit! The cool thing about brewing is there is no such thing as moving too fast or too slow...most of the time you will make drinkable beer!!! So I say move to the next step when your pocket book will allow it.

Dinoo0 said:
but as my local brew shop said don't run before you can walk!!

Take what they say lightly...I believe they mean well, but, for instance, the guy at my LHBS told me a recipe for an English IPA was not going to be good (my first all grain batch) and it took first place at our county fair.

Cheers for the advice I'm sure they'll be plenty more question coming your way!! Haha. So do you prefer to bottle your brew?

KISS Brew said:
The only advantage to dark bottles is that they keep light out. If the beer is stored in the dark, there is no advantage.

Kegging won't improve your beer. It will only ease packaging and access.

Cheers mate, I'm going to keep it in a concrete outhouse when it's ready so it should be dark enough in there I reckon.

Dinoo0 said:
Cheers for the advice I'm sure they'll be plenty more question coming your way!! Haha. So do you prefer to bottle your brew?

I wouldn't say I "prefer" to bottle...it obviously takes way more time and a bit more work. I recently read " Brew Like a Monk" which obviously covers Begian Trappist and Abbey ales, most of which are bottle conditioned. I think I'm going to split a few batches soon and do half keg and half bottled and compare. I have a Belgian Golden strong and a Belgian Dark strong in fermenters at the moment, so it might be a good time to try. I'd be interested to hear the results from others who have done this.

bobbrewedit said:
I wouldn't say I "prefer" to bottle...it obviously takes way more time and a bit more work. I recently read " Brew Like a Monk" which obviously covers Begian Trappist and Abbey ales, most of which are bottle conditioned. I think I'm going to split a few batches soon and do half keg and half bottled and compare. I have a Belgian Golden strong and a Belgian Dark strong in fermenters at the moment, so it might be a good time to try. I'd be interested to hear the results from others who have done this.

That sounds good, that's what I'm going to do with a mexican cerveza that I'm fermenting at the moment, im tempted prime my bottles with a lime zest in my sugar for bottling to give it that bit of citrus taste, you ever done anything like that?

Dinoo0 said:
That sounds good, that's what I'm going to do with a mexican cerveza that I'm fermenting at the moment, im tempted prime my bottles with a lime zest in my sugar for bottling to give it that bit of citrus taste, you ever done anything like that?

No, I only bottled my first four batches, then moved to kegging, but your idea sounds great. You'll have to let me know how it turns out. I have experimented with different fermentables, but the only thing I've used outside of your typical honey, molasses, maple syrup etc, is wood chips, and that was a disaster. Good thing beer is forgiving....or I'd be in trouble!

bobbrewedit said:
No, I only bottled my first four batches, then moved to kegging, but your idea sounds great. You'll have to let me know how it turns out. I have experimented with different fermentables, but the only thing I've used outside of your typical honey, molasses, maple syrup etc, is wood chips, and that was a disaster. Good thing beer is forgiving....or I'd be in trouble!

If I want to let you know how I get on or any questions I have do I descend you a private message or just continue as I am? I've never used a forum before lol. I'm experimenting with an Irish stout with licorice with my next brew.

Send a private message or just post it here...I'll monitor this thread and let u know what happens with splitting the Belgians

That stout sounds great...you should, if you haven't already...read Extreme Brewing. It's a book by the owner of the Dogfish Head Brewery. It goes into a ton of detail about adding crazy stuff to beers. All of the recipes are for extract brewing, but are easy to convert if you use all grain.

Back