Storm damage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uphillbrewer

Reaction score
Last week, we had some serious winds and storms. During the course of one of those storms, my table umbrella went flying trough the air and decided to visit my hop trellis. 3 of plants got snapped about a foot off the ground. I pinched off what was broken, and fixed the trellis. Will they come back or send up new growth or am I done for the year? They are all still green and seem to be alive but I don't know what they'll do now. Thanks for the help!

You may be finished from the standpoint of harvest, but let them re-grow either way.

If they are first year bines, you woulnd't have gotten much either way. At this point, they may send up new shoots or the snapped off bines will pick or grow a sidearm that will become dominate and start growing up as the main bine. Train that one as you did the first and see what it does.

Sorry for your loss...and loose the umbrella.

A recent hail storm broke the tips off all my cascade bines. When this happened last year, it was early enough in the season that I let some new ones take over. It happened much later this year, so I left them up. It looks like the side arms are getting longer and trying to climb and the broken bines look like they are sending out a few new shoots. It really stunted the growth. Normally the cascades are ahead to the nugget, but my nugget bines are much bigger.

I just lost the tip of one of my two plants that I managed to start from some old rhizomes about a month ago. Only one bine grew, and there's been a tiny stub beneath... been this way for almost 2 weeks. It was only a couple inches tall to begin with. I'm sad :(

chopped.jpg

So, update since the initial storm. Everything seems to be growing quickly and back to full strength. Since mid June, growth has been fast and furious. I'll need to extend my pole system soon. I underestimated how much they'd grow!

image-2160915455.jpg

Back