Storing pellet hops (without a vacuum sealer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently ordered some ingredients online through a new supplier. When I used to get hops from my old supplier, they'd come in individual, 1oz vacuum sealed bags, presumably because they'd just package them ahead of time and send them out that way (unless you really ordered in bulk maybe?).

I needed 7oz of cascade for two recipes, one which I'll be brewing tomorrow, but the next one will be brewed up in two weeks most probably (though I could always push it closer), and I just got a big, 7oz bag.

Can I store the leftovers in a ziplock in the freezer for 2 weeks? I'm guessing that short a time shouldn't do them too much harm, but I'd like to make sure. If anyone has any better suggestions (other than buying a vacuum sealer), that'd be great as well.

Yeah I store mine this way for long periods and they are fine. If they aren't in the freezer probably wouldn't be to good but in the freezer I bet they would be ok for 6 months to a year.

I keep my hops in the freezer, in a freezer zip lock bag and they have been fine for 6 months. I know you said you didn't want a vacumn sealer, I just picked up one from Wal-Mart for $20, and it's worked great

I keep my hops in the freezer, in a freezer zip lock bag and they have been fine for 6 months. I know you said you didn't want a vacumn sealer, I just picked up one from Wal-Mart for $20, and it's worked great

I'll get one eventually, as bulk hop prices are very enticing, but for the moment I don't really need one.

There seems to be some people who say you can keep your hops in a ziplock for months without a problem (in a freezer, obviously), while I've read elsewhere that it's far from ideal. Is this more of the theoretical "you shouldn't be doing this because it could degrade" or does anyone have experience going from ziplocks to vacuum sealers and seen a change in how well they store?

Ziplock bag. Seal most of the way across and suck the air out then store in the freezer. I use a vacuum sealer and a couple of times I guess I didn't get a good seal. The bags equalized but the hops were still OK. A few weeks = no problem at all, a few months = probably OK, longer = ???

KepowOb said:
I'll get one eventually, as bulk hop prices are very enticing, but for the moment I don't really need one.

There seems to be some people who say you can keep your hops in a ziplock for months without a problem (in a freezer, obviously), while I've read elsewhere that it's far from ideal. Is this more of the theoretical "you shouldn't be doing this because it could degrade" or does anyone have experience going from ziplocks to vacuum sealers and seen a change in how well they store?

My wife is a biologist so I asked her this and she said that as pellets it doesn't really matter. As whole leaf hops oxygen exposure can denature them over time but it would take a very long time at freezing temps because the air molecules would be moving extremely slow. Pellet hops can denature with an extreme amount of time but because of their processing it takes much longer.

I keep mine in a ziploc bag in the freezer and I haven't noticed a difference. A side by side comparison of ziploc and vacuum sealed hops a couple months after sealing, or a lab test would probably be the only way to tell if there is an actual diference. I'm sure that there is, just not noticeable to my tastes.

Suck as much air as you can out of a Ziploc. No worries. I usually buy enough hops for 2-3 months.

I did make that change, I found some year old hops in the freezer that were just Ziploc, and it had lost some potency and had a tea bag scent, but after I've gotten my sealer I got two years with no tea smell. The only problem is that I forgot it at the bottom of my chest freezer

Can I store the leftovers in a ziplock in the freezer for 2 weeks? I'm guessing that short a time shouldn't do them too much harm, but I'd like to make sure.

A short time won't do them any harm. A long time won't do them any harm either.

2 weeks. Not even worth batting a eye over. Six months. Not worth losing sleep over. A year. Reevaluate you shopping habits and mix with fresh.

Science for teh win! Much better than anecdotal evidence and opinions.

My wife is a biologist so I asked her this and she said that as pellets it doesn't really matter. As whole leaf hops oxygen exposure can denature them over time but it would take a very long time at freezing temps because the air molecules would be moving extremely slow. Pellet hops can denature with an extreme amount of time but because of their processing it takes much longer.

an article about getting better hops by freezing them. OK, it is liquid nitrogen.

Back