Storing opened LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
Hi,

I decided to go back to extract brewing for a while because these days I just don't have time to do a mash on brew day. I am doing small batches, so the containers of extract I ordered (from Northern Brewer) will both be used for two different brews (a 2.5 gallon and a 1.5 gallon).

It is going to be a few days (maybe a week) between these brews. Is it fine to just re-cap the LME containers and stash them in the fridge for this period of time? Or is it something that can spoil once it's opened? Any precautions I can take to make sure my LME is still good for my second brew?

I am a fairly new brewer but the guy at my LHBS said they can last a few weeks, probably not more than a month. Store them in fridge in a tight lid container. Try to put is a container with as little a headspace as possible to limit the amount of air.

All the best

A week would be fine. If you're nervous you can purge the head space in the container with CO2 before closing it. Your enemy here is O2, so create a barrier and you'll be fine.

One tip I learned from here is to pour vodka on top of the opened LME (don't stir, just cover the cold LME with it). That will inhibit mold growth for a very long time, and it can be stored in the fridge for quite a long while then. Of course, decant the vodka off before warming up the LME for use. Oh, and use cheapo vodka, and use just enough to cover it of course!

I think that the key is to not let any water in the container with your LME. I found that I had to change my habit of pouring it over the steamy pot or using the wet spatula to stop the pour.

Back