Storing acidated malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
I just picked up the ingredients for my next batch from the LHBS. Unfortunately, now it looks like irked be a couple weeks before I get to brew. Looks like all the grains were milled together. Is it a problem to store a couple of ounces acidated malt mixed in with the rest of my grain bill? Just asking cause I think acidated malt is made with bacteria. I don’t want to sour all my grains!

Any value in sticking the grains in the freezer?

Grains in general usually contain a fair amount of microbes. All of your grains are likely covered in bacteria, wild yeast, etc. Adding a few ounces of sauermalz won't make much of a difference. Keep your grain in a cool, dry place and it will be fine.

The lactic acid producing bacteria were already present on the malt. Plain malt and grain have no shortage of bacteria. Just store it normally.

Time for some nit picking. Acidulated malt or acid malt. Acidated is not correct. Carry on……

well on a more serious note. is acid malt just kinda like a hybrid crystal malt, and steep at like 110f in the kernel wet, then dried and kilned as usual? or whatever the acid rest is?

Well, ok, I was wrong, it actually is a lactic acid process that apparently expresses the intrinsic lactobacillus found in barley malt

Even so, it seems like added effort, vs a squirt of Phosphoric Acid under guidance of a brewing water calculator...

Cheers!

Back