Stopping an infection before it starts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerny

Reaction score
Hey there, first time poster here.
Made a porter, fermented it, let it sit for longer than I would have liked(about a month and a bit)

So I racked it into a secondary with equipment that I only rinsed by accident. My go-to sanitizing spray bottle turned out to only have water in it :(
The beer smells/tastes fine at the moment, but I get the suspicious feeling it may turn out to have some sort of infection. Its a bit cloudy on top all of a sudden.

So my question being; what can I do to slow or stop the onset of any possible infections, without affecting the quality of the beer?
I plan to keg if it turns out alright so I need not worry about the yeasties within.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated,
Cheers

It is, but I am planning on kegging it.. when i get my co2 refilled on friday, leaving the beer sitting there for 3 days before I can get that thing cooled and carbed :/
pondering tossing some sulphite/sorbate in it but idk

What about boiling it to kill anything wild off? I'm not sure how much it would affect the flavor of the beer. It would kill any live yeast of too, but since your kegging that probably doesn't matter.

Boiling it would reduce the ABV to roughly 0%, and likely attenuate pretty much every other character it started with as well.

If something like this were to be bothering me I'd keg the beer now, get it down to dispensing temperature asap - and keep it there with my fingers crossed...

Cheers!

Why not just put it in the keg and chill it to serving temp? 38F will be a less habitable environment for bacteria.

I'd cold crash it asap. Either rack into the keg or just drop the secondary into the kegerator if there's room. You may get a little oxidation if you don't have CO2 yet, but everything seems to go badly a whole lot slower at fridge temperatures, so I think that'll buy you enough time.

Boiling it would reduce the ABV to roughly 0%, and likely attenuate pretty much every other character it started with as well.

If something like this were to be bothering me I'd keg the beer now, get it down to dispensing temperature asap - and keep it there with my fingers crossed...

Cheers!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that fact.:drunk:

I'm sure you're fine doing nothing. If your brew is over 5% abv an infection at this point is highly unlikely unless you really messed up. Just what I've seen in the past at least. I would just keg and go about as usual. Good luck.

Hey there, first time poster here.
Made a porter, fermented it, let it sit for longer than I would have liked(about a month and a bit)

So I racked it into a secondary with equipment that I only rinsed by accident. My go-to sanitizing spray bottle turned out to only have water in it :(
The beer smells/tastes fine at the moment, but I get the suspicious feeling it may turn out to have some sort of infection. Its a bit cloudy on top all of a sudden.

So my question being; what can I do to slow or stop the onset of any possible infections, without affecting the quality of the beer?
I plan to keg if it turns out alright so I need not worry about the yeasties within.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated,
Cheers

if it doesn't have that tell-tale 'apple cider' taste, you should be fine.

Why can't you add a campden tablet? No one has told you not to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just add a tsp of StarSan and shake it up really good to get it foaming.

Ok seriously don't do that, given the fact that there is already a good amount of alcohol, you greatly reduce the chance of getting an infection assuming your sanitation was good through the rest of the process leading up to this mistake. As others have suggested get it cold crashed as soon as you can and then kegged. The colder temperature and lack of oxygen in addition to the alcohol will all greatly reduce the risk of infection.

Latest posts

Back