Stone Retiring Pale Ale, Releases Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
I saw this in the beer news yesterday: http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/stone-pale-ale-recipe/

Basically, Stone isn't going to be producing their classic Pale Ale anymore, and have since released the recipe for public consumption. Hats off to these guys, they have long since been supportive of the homebrew community. Although it probably isn't the first time the recipe has been seen in public, it's nice to see that they have released what is known as an "official" recipe. :ban:

I checked out the recipe ingredients, and it wasn't anything that I would have thought. Interesting there's so much crystal, considering the IPA has hardly any. I haven't had the pale ale in years, but it was one of the first craft beers that that I loved. I'm glad the recipe can live on forever! :mug:

Seems like rehydrated S-04 would work well in this recipe too. you're right about the crystal malt. Does seem like a lot! Columbus & ahtanum should play very well together as I remember.

Wow, that's a pretty weird recipe. 13% crystal, mashing at 156, and fermenting at 72F? :confused:

It's like everything I knew was a lie! Is this the "blue/black or white/gold" dress of beer?! :tank:

Stone released the recipe several years ago. BYO had an entire article with Stone and a lot of their recipes (including the pale). Shame that they are going to stop producing it though....

Disclaimer: I love Stone beers and appreciate everything they've done for craft and home brewing. It's interesting that they'd retire their flagship beer, though I feel like Stone IPA (which I prefer) has kind of been carrying that banner for the last several years.

With that preface out of the way, I think that Stone Brewing gets a little marketing happy at times. A recipe identical to the one in the linked blog post was published in their book. The book came out around 4 years ago. That they would make a big announcement now and talk about how "the suggestion was immediately run up the flagpole" to the heads of Stone Brewing who "applauded the idea" just seems like marketing gimmickry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome that they would be classy enough to release the recipe at their end of production. I have heard that Stone is one of the more homebrew friendly breweries so it isn't a huge shock.

I've never had Stone products before. Not even sure if they're readily available in my area. Looking at the recipe I see two types of hops I haven't used. So I can't begin to think what the beer would be. Add it to my list of things to brew I suppose.

Wow, that's a pretty weird recipe. 13% crystal, mashing at 156, and fermenting at 72F? :confused:

It's like everything I knew was a lie! Is this the "blue/black or white/gold" dress of beer?! :tank:

Yeah, crazy. If I brewed it, I don't think that would be a pale ale on my system either. Fermeting at 72 is fairly standard when you have huge conicals, and a ton of pressure on the yeast at the bottom.

Now if they would just retire Arrogant Bastard, so we could have that recipe :D

Latest posts

Back