Stir Plate Score (kind of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldood

Reaction score
I scored a stirrer like this
S5643_x600_jpg_600x600_q85.jpg

but the switch does not change speed so I am sure I need a new pot
and do not know where or what to buy :(

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

all I can read on it is 3 amp 125 vac

Any help?

Have you measured the pot?
What happens? From off to full on when turning it?
It could be some other component that is broken. Electrolytes are a common source of malfunctions. So, measure the pot, if it is ok, no need buying a new one. Then check for bulging electrolytes and possibly shorts (burn marks).

The unit runs fine but it seems like it is at full speed no matter what I do with the switch. The switch does still turn on and off though.

I put a meter on the pot and it i get an OHM reading that is very inconsistent. It sometimes change as I move the switch but most of the time it stays the same.

And you are measuring between the middle pin and one of the outer pins?
The two outer pins will have constant resistance, the middle one is the wiper.
It sure could be the pot, but from the behaviour I would say it would be a higher probability of something else failing.

Switch is working I get continuity when on and not in off
outside leg to outside leg I get nothing
leg to wiper I get .4 ohm to 0 ohm when moving the switch.

That does sound like it is the pot that is the problem.
Now, if you can't make out the rating, easiest way would probably be to short the wires to the switch and try a few cheap regular pots and try to find a value that works well. If too low it won't reduce speed (much), too high it won't start (until maybe at the end). Once you found one that works well, try and locate a replacement with the required switch. Be careful though.

If it was me, I'd bend the four little tabs holding the pot together and take it apart. Then see if there is something that could be easily cleaned.

What does the stamped writing on the side say? It might be a part number that you can google for.

Yeah, I retract my previous statements as well. Googling it, it seems these use AC motors. For all I know it might be live mains running through it, then using regular pots will be a bad idea. Also, 0.4 ohm might be right... It might not be the pot that is bad. You'd probably need to find out more about this thing first...

I used the Google Machine and it said Q$#!Y%E^#%

I called Corning they said no parts for you call CTS
I CTS they said no parts for you call Corning

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406473420.097411.jpg

Just playing around trying different things. I took two wire nuts and put on the magnet and it works great.

Latest posts

Back