Stir plate.... How Fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A vortex as small as a dimple is fast enough. Although, you can crank it up as high as you want. Just make sure the bar doesn't get thrown.

Is this too fast?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1RJEmZafaE]DIY stirplate - YouTube[/ame]

Yea, but look at all that air/oxygen being pulled into solution. I would think that the yeast would love it, no?

From what I've read, fast speeds can beat up on the yeast and damage them... I always run mine at the slowest speed, and I always get good starters..

Slowest speed? fastest speed? what does this mean? I run mine at an average bellybutton depth for a vortex. If you have a bellybutton outie consult a friend.

I've also read that maintaining a vortex isn't really necessary as long as the yeast are stirring and stay in suspension.. I'm not sure if that is true. My stir plate pretty much makes a vortex even on low speed, though.

Perhaps the term "good starter" is a bad way to put it. What I mean to say is, my starters always propagate plenty of yeast in a very short period of time...

Latest posts

Back