Stinky Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
So the last time I brewed I racked an american wheat to the keg and headed down to LA to a family reunion without cleaning my plastic fermenting bucket. Stupid, I know. I went to clean it today and it smells like cat pee. That is to say ammonia. I'm assuming as with most smells like this it is a byproduct of bacteria. I've washed it thoroughly and now it's sitting full of Star San but my question is should I chuck the bucket? What if I get the smell out? It was my first fermentation vessel I ever owned so it's kind of sentimental...:(

TL;DR Brew bucket smells like cat pee, chuck it?

Buckets are cheap. Why not get another one. You can still use the bucket to hold things in such as grain or other supplies if you don't feel like chucking it.
Not saying the cleaning won't work, but why take the chance?

After cleaning as suggested above you could also set it in the sun for a couple of days. Sunlight is a great deodorizer. (unless you are a dead animal)

Back