Still fermenting after 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonLT

Reaction score
Brewed a Russian Imperial Stout 3 weeks ago, and pitched with US-04. It's been sitting at 64 degrees for 3 weeks. It's still bubbling in the airlock! My OG was 1.070, and last weekend it was at 1.028. I was going to take another sample tonight and check it, but if it's still bubbling should I even bother? Is it normal for an RIS to take this long to finish?

Brewed a Russian Imperial Stout 3 weeks ago, and pitched with US-04. It's been sitting at 64 degrees for 3 weeks. It's still bubbling in the airlock! My OG was 1.070, and last weekend it was at 1.028. I was going to take another sample tonight and check it, but if it's still bubbling should I even bother? Is it normal for an RIS to take this long to finish?

Never brewed a RIS, but if the airlock is still active the fermentation has a ways to. Wait another week then decide if another SG reading is necessary or if waiting a bit longer would be better.

Go at least a full week after you think it's finished before taking a sample it's just a waste and it will probably still be too soon.
The air lock means nowt!

If it doesn't have a pellicle or something, you're probably fine, did you O2 inject? Big beer to not inject.

Give it another week, check it, taste it.

I love RIS, best luck.

When the airlock appears stationary and you think it's finished, it won't be ! Wait at least a week since the airlock seemed to stop , then do an SG

Latest posts

Back