Sticke Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Stat wise what is the difference between an alt and stick alt. Bjcp 2015 has max og at 1.052 and Ibu 50. It mentions sticke alts but doesn't tell you at what point you are crossing over.

From what I've seen I'd expect Pilsner, Munich and Carafa (maybe Chocolate or Crystal malt). Never had one, but I've been to Cologne and not to Dusseldorf. Looks like the German version of a Strong Bitter.

Longtrail Brewing in Vermont does a stickealt they call 'Doublebag'. Really nice beer. My version, I call 'Ben's DoubleAlt'. Basically the same recipe as my regular Altbier, but I up the OG by adding 3 lb. of Munich LME, and increase the hops. This year's version came in at 7.9%ABV. I usually try to keep it down around the 7.3-7.4% which Doublebag is listed at.
If interested, recipe can be found at 'www. brewtoad.com/recipes/ben-s-doublealt'

Back