Sterilizing a Blichmann Beer Gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koopa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My absentee brewing partner (who still doesn't grasp the idea of cross contamination despite exhaustive conversations about it) decided to fill some growlers the other day and ran a wild ale (brett, lacto, pedio) through my blichmann beer gun. I now need to fill some non-wild ale bottles directly off of kegs for competition entries. I don't want them getting infected by running them through the now tainted beer gun. I'm thinking the best was to sterilize the beer gun is one of the following:

1. Remove the rubber tip, drop the gun in boiling water for (X) amount of time, put a brand new rubber tip on
2. Remove the rubber tip, bake the gun in the oven at (Y) temperature for (X) amount of time, put a brand new rubber tip on

Can anybody help me with the following?

Solving for X in each option
Solving for Y
Deciding which method might be better
Deciding if I'm going to destroy my beer gun by using either method
Deciding if there is a better option

Unless you have a pressure cooker I would be wary of option 1. If I recall correctly boiling water won't kill everything.

As for #2, 1 hour at 350 should heat sterilize it.

I can't imagine there being any damage to the gun from being in the oven as long as it's only the metal parts....

You may want to contact Blichman just to make sure there are no rubber parts in the valve. I too suffer from a goofy brew partner, he's kind of like a whirling durbish.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would take it all apart and do a good soak in pbw and rinse thoroughly. Then submerge and soak in star san for 30 minutes or so.

Could heat or boil after that to be absolutely certain.

I would be most concerned about the rubber tubing and disconnect....... I would probably just get different tubing to be honest. Soaking tubing too long in starsan seems to make it sticky/tacky.

I would put it in a box along with the bill for the replacement gun, give it to him along with a stern lecture about respecting other people's property and boundaries.

Keep in mind that stainless and the brass valve probably will not pass any bugs, however the plastic tubing might, may be a safe choice to replace the plastic lines....send that bill to your buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back