stepping up wyeast 3711. wort wont clear in the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloverBrew

Reaction score
per wyeast website Flocculation: Low. I made a 2L starter of wyeast french saison 3711. it has been in the fridge for 1 and a half days. there is a yeast bed as the bottom of the bottle but there is also still alot of what seems to be yeast in suspension. basically the wort isn't clear like other starters have been in the past. i understand what low floculation means but when will the yeasties drop out of suspension so I can step up the starter? i thought the cold crash would make 'em fall

Funny, I read this right after checking in on my saison that I am crashing now. The big yeast rafts have fallen, but there is still considerable "debris" in solution after 24 hours at 40 degrees (my fridge cant get much lower).

Some yeast may never fall out--at least not in the time period you are looking at. Why are you so concerned about every bit of yeast dropping out? At worst you will be pouring off the least flocculent and moving on with the yeast that flocculates better--something that seems quite important for you in this batch. Go ahead and move forward. I assume you plan to decant that liquid and add more wort for the next growth cycle. Why wait any longer? Your not losing anything by discarding the ones that are still suspended.

I'm reading the yeast book right now. It stated that when making a starter to let the yeast completely floculate. You do this to keep the entire characteristic list of the yeast strain. if you dump off the non floculated yeast you are basically getting rid of the ability for the yeast to be non flocculant. In the end you are kind of creating a new generation of yeast that are highly floculant. Which in turn can change the flavor profile of the yeast. Long story short..evolution. That's how there became to be different strains. Especially with a saison beer, the yeast is the star. I want to keep as much characteristic as possible

Stepping up from 2 liters on 3711? Are you brewing something huge or a ten gallon batch? That yeast is a beast and I've had it attenuate 90%+ when I've used it. Under pitching slightly helps promote the classic Belgian esters; maybe you've got enough already!

I'm doing a step up starter. That's why I'm decanting. I'm preparing for freezing yeast in 50ml vials. I need 100 billion cells

Stepping up from 2 liters on 3711? Are you brewing something huge or a ten gallon batch? That yeast is a beast and I've had it attenuate 90%+ when I've used it. Under pitching slightly helps promote the classic Belgian esters; maybe you've got enough already!

Yes, for brewing a 5 gallon batch I have more than enough. But I'm creating a yeast bank

How much under pitched to get the Belgian Esters?and not 100 billion, 1000 billion. One trillion if you please

CloverBrew said:
How much under pitched to get the Belgian Esters?and not 100 billion, 1000 billion. One trillion if you please

You'll get them either way but more if under pitched by 10-20%. It causes more growth which is when they are produced. Make sure you aeration is very good though; I recommend an O2 tank and stainless diffuser.

Back