stems/stalks and plastic in grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahahb

Reaction score
Just mashed in and noticed these little shreds of plastic(like thin sheet plastic) in the grains. Like the same size you'd find paper after it's been through a shredder. The longest piece I saw was about 3.5 inches. The smaller ones I picked out were about 3/4". I picked out a few and said screw the rest. Did notice stems too for the first time.

I know the plastic is not normal and I'm trying not to be mad about that, but are the stalks normal?

Btw, this order was pre crushed and from brewmasterswarehouse.com. I think I might switch who I get my ingredients from.

Pieces of stalk and the occasional small stone are normal. Some small remnants of the grain bag like pieces of the poly liner or the polypro weave of the bag itself can also be encountered. The plastic bits are probably a function of how carefully the bag was opened.

Maybe I'm being too anal, but I find that plastic in my grains is unacceptable. I didn't really care too much about the stalks, but I try to be conscious about my use of plastic. Who knows what toxins will leech out of that stuff at 150 degrees for an hour?

Guess I need to crush my own grains before long.

Who knows what toxins will leech out of that stuff at 150 degrees for an hour?

None actually. Grain bags are made of woven polypropylene stands and the inner liners are polyethylene. Both materials are approved for food contact and have a rated continuous-use temperature of 180F.

Thanks for informing. I looked up the woven polypropylene and it does look like one of the strands.

Latest posts

Back