Steam beer with S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlaramie08

Reaction score
I brewed up a steam beer with S-23 yesterday and came home tonight to airlock activity. I smelled it and it doesn't smell like s**t. It smells great coming out of the airlock. I've been searching and have found mixed opinions about this yeast. However, I have faith. I'll let y'all know in a few weeks how it tastes. BTW its fermenting at 66F (fermometer reading) in the basement.

Sounds like you have a good beer going. Small nit to pick, though. It is the yeast which makes steam beer (stylistically called California Common) and that yeast is the California lager yeast.
I have no doubt you'll have a good beer with S-23, but it won't be a true steam beer. And unless you want a lot of esthers in your brew, you might want to lower your fermenting temperature. S-23 has a range of 12-15c (54-59).

While that yeast may be true to style. It's homebrew and I don't plan on entering comps. And we'll see about that range because the manufacturer says up to 75 ideally 59f. We'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

Sounds like you have a good beer going. Small nit to pick, though. It is the yeast which makes steam beer (stylistically called California Common) and that yeast is the California lager yeast.
I have no doubt you'll have a good beer with S-23, but it won't be a true steam beer. And unless you want a lot of esthers in your brew, you might want to lower your fermenting temperature. S-23 has a range of 12-15c (54-59).

Remember, there were more than a few Steam Beer breweries historically. They didn't all use the same yeast as Anchor. It just happens that Anchor is the only one that survived and is considered the ONE as a result. Also, the "California Common" thing is a made up name to appease Anchor and their tademarking of the "Steam" name, which, of course, was historically used by many breweries.

I hear you both. I was narrow in my definition, looking at from a style perspective.
While the manufacturer says up to 75, I doubt any good brewer would expect a decent lager to come out at that end. I stand by the mid fifties as a solid temp for lager yeast.

Rechecking the Fermentis web site, I can not find that 75F listed anywhere. The spec sheet for S23 says:
Recommended fermentation temperature: 9C – 15C, ideally 12C.

Brew on and good luck.

From s-23 i used 68 was the max ferm temp for that lager yeast,no lager yeast should go beyond that really. I did a Cali common and it got around 70, and i dont recommend and i wont get it that high again.Lowlow- mid 60's will be fine for a steam beer.I had off flavors for a few months but it turned out to be pretty good but somewhat still has that offness.

I always use S-23 for my California Common. I typically ferment it around 63 to 65 degrees. I placed second in a comp with it, so it has worked well for me.

Update:
Bottled this a little more than a week ago. The hydrometer sample was glorious! After one week I have an ever so slight hint of sulfur that was not present in the hydrometer sample. Even with that, still absolutely delicious. Hopefully my pipeline will keep me distracted enough to keep from tasting one every few days.

Back