STC-1000+ Sources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
OK, been searching, drinking, drinking, and searching. To buy a stc1000+, what is a reliable site? I am comfortable going the DYI route.

OK, been searching, drinking, drinking, and searching. To buy a stc1000+, what is a reliable site? I am comfortable going the DYI route.

There's a lot of non-flashable versions for sale out there. If you want to be sure to have one that works, without having to do a bunch of trial and error ordering, you will be best served by getting one from Will Conrad http://www.blackboxbrew.com/ or Greg Smith https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/brewsbysmith-diy-pre-assembled-stc-1000-temp-controllers-494475/

Brew on :mug:

There's a lot of non-flashable versions for sale out there. If you want to be sure to have one that works, without having to do a bunch of trial and error ordering, you will be best served by getting one from Will Conrad http://www.blackboxbrew.com/ or Greg Smith https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/brewsbysmith-diy-pre-assembled-stc-1000-temp-controllers-494475/

Agreed, want one that works! Thanks!!
Wow, back to the same site, black Box! As usual, out of stock!

The pre-flashed units with the + firmware are not available from Amazon or Ebay. The only sources I know for those are Will and Greg (links above.)

Yeah, the fully assembled BlackBoxes are sold out, but Will still has STC-1000's that have been pre-flashed with the STC-1000+ firmware, as well as flashable STC-1000's. These all require DIY to put into a wired and finished controller. Greg has fully assembled units available, as well as a variety of DIY kits.

I bought two STC-1000's on Amazon that were not flashable. There are multiple sellers on Amazon and Ebay, and it's a crap shoot as to whether what you get will be flashable or not. I ordered a couple of pre-flashed STC-1000's from Will cause the fully assembled boxes were not available. Then I ordered a DIY kit from Greg that included everything but the STC-1000.

So, I appears there are still viable sources.

Brew on

Last edited:
there are things you can look for to help get the right versions compare the stickers and probes carefully as well as contact placement if the pics show it....
I ordered 5 and 3 were the right versions. the first wrong one was before I did my homework. I also ordered a non flashed one from on of the members here buying and reselling them which cost me $26 shipped.....the 5 I ordered on ebay cost me $75 total.... Even with 2 only being good for Celsius and single setpoints I came out ahead with the other3 vs the 80-100% markup the guys buying them in bulk for $10-12 and marking them up to 20-22 and adding shipping to that are charging.... Everyone wants to make money with minimal effort , I get it... I just dont like to give it away as easily. Its fine paying an extra 10 bucks or so if you only need one but I need 5 of these.

there are things you can look for to help get the right versions compare the stickers and probes carefully as well as contact placement if the pics show it....
I ordered 5 and 3 were the right versions. the first wrong one was before I did my homework. I also ordered a non flashed one from on of the members here buying and reselling them which cost me $26 shipped.....the 5 I ordered on ebay cost me $75 total.... Even with 2 only being good for Celsius and single setpoints I came out ahead with the other3 vs the 80-100% markup the guys buying them in bulk for $10-12 and marking them up to 20-22 and adding shipping to that are charging.... Everyone wants to make money with minimal effort , I get it... I just dont like to give it away as easily. Its fine paying an extra 10 bucks or so if you only need one but I need 5 of these.

Relax Augie. People are asking where to get known flashable units. They don't want to play e-bay or Amazon roulette. (Just because you got 3 good out of 5 once, doesn't guarantee that you, or anyone else, could always depend on that ratio.) Greg has gone to the trouble of finding a reliable source (I don't believe Will is still in the game), and is offering to act a distributor for others. All distributors take a markup for their effort. There are labor and inventory carrying costs involved with being a distributor. No one is forced to buy from a redistributor if they don't like their prices. But for a lot of people, it's worth some extra money to not have to worry about whether they got the right part or not, or to not have to do all the searching to find a suitable source.

I know you pride yourself on finding the absolute lowest price for everything you buy, and spend a lot of time doing it. There's nothing wrong with that approach, but don't expect everyone to want to spend all the time you do, or accept the risks of not getting what they really need.

Relax Augie. People are asking where to get known flashable units. They don't want to play e-bay or Amazon roulette. (Just because you got 3 good out of 5 once, doesn't guarantee that you, or anyone else, could always depend on that ratio.) Greg has gone to the trouble of finding a reliable source (I don't believe Will is still in the game), and is offering to act a distributor for others. All distributors take a markup for their effort. There are labor and inventory carrying costs involved with being a distributor. No one is forced to buy from a redistributor if they don't like their prices. But for a lot of people, it's worth some extra money to not have to worry about whether they got the right part or not, or to not have to do all the searching to find a suitable source.

ok so your point is? the point of this thread is someone was looking for a good source suitable a400 versions of the stc.. anyone who has read the stc 1000+ knows they can buy them for more by going through another additional middleman such as blackbox or the like... Your the one who seems to have an issue with someone not seeing things your way here and do just that..
your entitled to your opinion and im entitled to mine..
As already stated I bought from him and the price comes out to almost double with shipping for one unit. vs other distributors. which means he is doubling his money. I'm not sure how that can be considered a modest fee for his efforts...thats 100% not 35% markup just to buy, and reship something. Its more like buying tickets from a scalper for double who buys them all up and thanking him for his efforts..
I'm sure eventually there going to be someone kind enough to share their sources without trying to get rich off just reselling them to their peers here.. just like alpha who was kind enough to share his REAL EFFORTS at no charge to his peers.

If I wanted to have an STC-1000+ (either a preflashed or one I could flash) I would go with a seller who knew the difference and was selling a known flashable unit.

That would be worth $10 to me easy.

doug293cz is not alone in his view on this.

If pinching pennies was a sport audiology would be Michael Jordan. Fortunately for the rest of us pinching pennies is not a sport, it's a time consuming, tedious practice that often results in a false economy where the money saved is more than offset by the value received vs the time and effort invested.

btw, your = belongs to you, you're = you are

and while we're trying to save, you only need to spend one period to end a sentence. audiology often spends three periods to do the same job.

Latest posts

Back