STC-1000 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
Im considering a STC-1000 for temp control for a keezer project just not having a full understanding of the heat side, I mean is it for fermenter heaters in cold climates? Sorry to chime off like a dumb arse but just would like to fully understand and not miss out on something I may find use for.

I use my STC 1000 for my fermentation chamber which is in an unheated building. I have an air conditioner on the cooling side and a heater on the heating side. This time of year, the cooling never kicks in but, the heating is used to maintain the temperature.

I have a used fridge for fermentation. The fridge plugs into the cold side. I tape a heating pad to the carboy and plug that into the heat side. Tape the temp probe to the carboy opposite the heating par. Cover the whole thing with an old jacket. Keeps the wort ~.3 C of target temp. The fridge itself is - 3 C lower because of the insulation of the jacket - just cold enough to keep some beer in the fridge, too.

Dougie63 said:
Im considering a STC-1000 for temp control for a keezer project just not having a full understanding of the heat side, I mean is it for fermenter heaters in cold climates? Sorry to chime off like a dumb arse but just would like to fully understand and not miss out on something I may find use for.

Yep, if the ambient temp for the location of your chamber ever drops below the highest temp you would ferment at, you'll need heat to bring the temp up. When choosing a heat source, Keep in mind that the stc1000 is only good for up to 10A.

Does anyone know where I can get an STC-1000 pre-wired, like in a box with plugs? I have zero tools and electrical wires make me just a bit nervous haha. I've seen some on ebay but they're like 3 times the price of the controller part, which seems a bit insane.

Any pointers or experience would be really appreciated! Thanks,

Jeff

jeffhanberg said:
Does anyone know where I can get an STC-1000 pre-wired, like in a box with plugs? I have zero tools and electrical wires make me just a bit nervous haha. I've seen some on ebay but they're like 3 times the price of the controller part, which seems a bit insane. Any pointers or experience would be really appreciated! Thanks, Jeff

I know you say it makes you nervous. But check out the ebay aquarium controller thread on here it is a easy to follow example of putting together it for yourself. I wouldn't be intimidated. I am no electrician and followed the diagrams and mine works perfect only cost me 25-30$ sure beat buying a reassembled one. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Latest posts

Back