STC-1000 Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
If I am using the temp controller strictly for a kegerator (i.e. chilling beer), is there any reason to even wire up the "heating" circuit? I could see the reasoning if it were being used for a fermentation chamber, but I'm in S. Louisiana, warming beer up is not a problem.

Am I missing something?

I got the same controller, and in my exp with out having a heating element attached once it "clicks over" to cooling...it never stopped all the way well past freezing temps b/c nothing ever turned on for it to "click" back to heat.

I thought the same thing as you. I was disappointed.

It will work to cool only just fine. I use one on a freezer for lagering.

I do not have a heater hooked to either of mine and it works fine. I use one to control ferm temps in a small dorm fridge, the other controls the temps in my kegerator.

Yeah, I was going to say that once it cools down past your dead bad (idk what you call it...set point +/- whatever value you select) it should turn off the call for cooling even if no heating is required.

No reason to have to hook up a heater.

I have the same setup but do use a heater because we need it in New Zealand. One thing I've noticed and will pass along though, is keeping the chest freezer full helps reduce cycling.

When I had only one beer fermenting in there I noticed it cycling on and off fairly regularly. Now I have, ahem, the following burbling away or ageing nicely: Vanilla Porter, IPA, Grapefruit Pulpin' IPA, KBS clone, and a Scotch Ale "Wee Heavy." The cycling is much reduced.

I stand corrected. I have the Inkbird and with that...you have to use both cold and hot in my experience.

Only using the cold side in my fermenting fridge, just watching it go through a cycle on my wireless thermometer I use to keep an eye on the food freezer and the ferment fridge. When it obviously cycled off after bottoming at 62.5 I checked the fermenter temps, both sitting at 66ish which is fine for the ales I have out there. And the 90 or so bottles that are carbonating.

I need to check the freezer temp and see if it would work as an overflow beer fridge!

I've been using stc-1000's as single stage controllers for 5-6 years, running either hot or cold only, with no issues. Cold in my keezer. And currently I have 3 running various hot side only setups- My ghetto sous-vide setup, a "proofing" box for sourdough breads with a lightbulb heater, and my current meat curing chamber in my basement, again with a light bulb heater.

In the case of my sous-vide which is being run off of my original schematic that a lot of people use on here, with a hot, cold and "always on" plug. I run the coffee urn on the hot side, and aquarium pump on always on moving the water, and usually nothing in the cool spot. When it kicks over to the "cool" cycle, everything just goes idle until the temp drops back down enough need the heat cycle back on.

But the one running the keezer I just wired the cold side. And it's run just fine for 4 years or so.

I have the ITC-1000 that a friend wired for me. I only utilize the cooling side but the heat side was hooked up. When the cooling cycle hits the set point it shuts off the unit then the heat light comes on.

How would this be wired if only using the cold side? I want the unit to shut off when the set point is reached with no juice going to either outlet. I don't use this unit for that reason but plan on getting a keezer going in the near future and want to use the ITC.

Using the cold side only you just wouldn't make a set of connections to the heating side of the inkbird to the outlet. I believe they're pins 5 and 6. I use mine to control temps in my fermentation chamber and hooked up heat because it was there and later bought a fermwrap heater I now use just because I have it and I think it keeps temps more stable.

No need to wire the heat side of STC when controlling a kegerator/keezer.

I have a water proof probe so I got a quart sized milk jug and filled it 3/4 with water. Drilled a small hole in the top and suspended the probe in the water. Just make sure the bottom of the jug is insulated or raised so it doesn't touch the bottom of the kegerator/keezer (or the side).

If your probe is not water proof, you can do a similar thing by taping the probe to the side of the container then covering the probe with some thin insulation.

:mug:

Back