Starting to keg, what to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I understand that there are a lot of options out there as far as kegging goes, but I'm looking for something very basic. I would love to keg 2-3 gallons, for my 5 gal batches, and bottle the rest. I want to be able to keep the kegging setup at the house for myself and friends while be able to bring bottles to BBQ's and other outdoor gatherings.

Being able to upgrade the system would be a plus. That is, having a manifold that can support more than one keg at a time. I don't think I'll ever want to go completely away from bottles so smaller kegs are key.

I've seen units on sale for 200 bucks for a 2.5 gal keg and regulator but that doesn't include a CO2 tank. I would like to save money but I also don't want to buy a piece of crap.

Thanks for any helpful knowledge or links.

I'm considering exactly the same thing, so I'll be watching this with interest. Unfortunately there don't seem to be a lot of packages with 3 gallon cornies out there.

I've tried the tap-a-draft system, which worked OK (2 tap-a-draft bottles with 12oz bottles for the rest), but I've had to abandon it as the tap kept opening in the fridge on the second CO2 cartridge, even with the locking tab firmly across.

I also wish that it was possible to get UK style pressure barrels here in the US. I used to use these for cask conditioned beer (without the hassle of taps and spiles) in the UK, and with a CO2 breather they can work really well for English styles.

Try keg connection. They can customize a kit for you. Best price on tank I've seen. Flat shipping.

I picked up 4 of these 2.5 gallon kegs. They are $70/ea with free S/H but they are new and work
great. You can find lots of used ones here or on craigslist but you will still have replace all of the seals
if you are smart. I would not rely on anyone elses used equipment. Don't ruin 1/2 a day of work over spending
$2-3 to replace the seals.

http://www.homebrewing.org/25-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Keg-W-Metal-Handles_p_2823.html

jxm2119 said:
I picked up 4 of these 2.5 gallon kegs. They are $70/ea with free S/H but they are new and work
great. You can find lots of used ones here or on craigslist but you will still have replace all of the seals
if you are smart. I would not rely on anyone elses used equipment. Don't ruin 1/2 a day of work over spending
$2-3 to replace the seals.

http://www.homebrewing.org/25-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Keg-W-Metal-Handles_p_2823.html

How did you get free shipping on those?

Latest posts

Back