Starting AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been extract brewing for about 6-8 months. I'm getting ready to start AG. In what order should I get my equipment? What do I need most to get started?
I don't want to spend a lot up front so I'm trying to get a little at a time. Also gonna start putting together a Christmas list for my wife to get me.

Maybe consider doing stovetop BIAB if you considering money and maybe do smaller batches. Getting something to crush the grains is essential if your lhbs doesnt do it for you. YOull need a couple pots a large steeping bag or 2. Otherwise maybe consider getting an all grain kit and get almost everything you need to get started. Ive actually pulled off a 5 gallon batch BIAB using 3 pots on burners and roatating the weaker boils with the stronger boils but sparging was a bit tricky-but got er done. Also just used my bottle bucket to ferment in,it worked great but I prefeer my 3 gallon carboy and doing 2.5 gallon batches and using two 3 gallon pots to boil in. Easy and cheap. BIAB is probably better for smaller batches if your considering it. Its too easy,like making tea. I know I would never get a system unless I started doing 5 gallon batches. I dont like plastic otherwise I would get one of those all grain igloo systems. So I would get those stainless steel pots if I were to upgrade.

I think a little more info is needed to help you make some decisions. The one thing I can recommend is purchase the largest pot you can afford, after starting BIAB and I made 5 gallons in 3.5 hours I thought "how much longer to make 10?" And I started on a 3 tier 15 gallon system.

What's your budget? For about $100 or so you can get a 5 gallon & a 10 gallon Igloo coolers that can be converted into an HLT (sparge tank) and mash tun.

I did BIAB for my first all grain and it wasn't for me... jumped into the above setup immediately after.

Back