Starter volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chattan

Reaction score
I've made a few batches and have used yeast starters. This time I boiled the wort for 20 min. I have very little volume, it boiled off. I have about 600 ml after two 1/2 quart and 1/2 cup of DME. How long should I boil the DME wort?

5 minutes is fine for a starter. Technically you don't even have to boil it, just get it above 165? (I think that's the temp) for a few minutes... but I still boil.

5 minutes is fine for a starter. Technically you don't even have to boil it, just get it above 165? (I think that's the temp) for a few minutes... but I still boil.

Agreed, You dont need to have a long boil or really even a boil at all for a starter. Ive read you should get the starter just below boiling and add the sugar. Just hot enough to disolve the sugars.

I think I gave the yeast a really high concentration of wort! I boiled two times and then did the "don't boil the wort." It looks like the starter is actually growing. I started the third time with a little over 1 liter, it is now 1.2 liters, woot!

Back