Starter Still Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amff

Reaction score
I just made my first starter and pitched my yeast 36 hours ago and its still bubbling. I was going to put it in the refrigerator today because I'm not brewing until tomorrow. Should I wait for the foam on the top to subside before refrigerating? If it's still reproducing yeast I don't want them to stop.

How are you doing it? On a stirplate? Shaking every time you walk by?

Bubbling? If you have an airlock on it, remove it and cover with sanitized foil. The yeast need oxygen to reproduce properly.

If just shaking let it go a little longer. Allow at least 12 and as much as 36 hours chilling to get the yeast to settle out.

I'm shaking it every chance. No stir plate. I may have chose the wrong phrase when I said bubbling. I'm not using an airlock, just foil. I was referring to the bubbles you see coming from the bottom of the wort. Similar to the bubbles you see after pouring a carbonating beer. I'm sure its CO2 which lead me to believe that the yeast are still doing their thing.

Back