Starter Semi Bulk Grain Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironedge

Reaction score
I just switched over to AG brewing and am looking to set up a basic bulk grain shelf so that I can brew at random. Looking for a sanity check on what I am looking to order.

Shopping list (bulk)
1 lb Hallertau
1 lb Williamette
1 lb Goldings East

55lb two row
50lb Maris Otter
55lb Pilsner
10lb white wheat
10lb caramunich malt
10lb Crystal malt 60L
5lb flaked oats
5lb carapils
2lb munich light 10L
2lb black malt
2lb biscuit malt
2lb roasted barley
1lb chocolate

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Eric

If I were you I would pick two or three beers that you brew regularly and keep the specialty grains for them in your stock. For other brews it's just as easy to pick up the small amount from the lhbs and not have to store that much. I do agree with the full sacks that you have selected though. That's a lot of caramunich and c60!

Thanks Glick.

The list is based off of 5 recipes that I am looking to brew. I am probably a little aggressive with the amounts and could definitely cut them back and just order when I get low.

I was looking to get a good mix of ingredients where I can do some experimenting and build my own recipes.

Appreciate the feedback.

Eric

Wow I would love to have that much extra space somewhere at my house - maybe in the attic above my garage. I am in Oregon so high humidity - freezing winter with high humidity and lately a 100+ degree summer with medium humidity - proper storage will be important!

Wow I would love to have that much extra space somewhere at my house - maybe in the attic above my garage. I am in Oregon so high humidity - freezing winter with high humidity and lately a 100+ degree summer with medium humidity - proper storage will be important!

I am in Southern Maryland so, like you in Oregon, the humidity is extremely high in the Spring/Summer and the area is horrible for storage. Planning on storing the grain in a basement closet where it is cool, dark and dry. We store our canned goods in there as well. I am fortunate to have that space because the closest LHBS is about 1+30 hours, so it is a royal PIA to travel every time I need something.

Back