Starter on an electric burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AerationStation

Reaction score
So I just moved last month and I'm prepping my first starter on the new stove. It's got electric burners and I've got a 2L EMF from morebeer.

Morebeer says that the student grade glass shouldn't be put directly on the element and that I should use another pot with water to double boil it.

So I've got about a gal of water boiling but when I put the flask in there the bubbles under the flask cause it to shake violently.

How do people do this? The shaking can't be good for the flask, should it be like floating in the boiling water? Do I worry about the boiling water going higher than the internal water line?

Obviously way late, but the bubbles and shaking are pretty much going to happen, and they're no big deal. The flask is only exposed to 212°F water (- ASL effects) which is pretty light duty. And you can dunk it as deep as you want - though the "bath" water above the wort line isn't doing anything useful...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, I ended up just letting it go and it was alright. My biggest problem is that I didn't really see a rigorous boil, I let it go for about an hour (which should be enough for pasteurization), cooled, and pitched. We'll see what happens but it's good to know the flask won't break

Latest posts

Back