Starter for a mixed culture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotinc

Reaction score
I am planning out a sour stout with an OG of 1.090. I plan to use a mixed culture(either yeast bay's mélange or roselare).

I would normally make a big starter for a clean beer with this gravity. What about for mixed cultures?

Anyone have any experience with the pros/cons of this?

I'm really just bumping this because I wanted hear from those with experience with sours and mixed cultures (I have none). Perhaps post this on the Lambic & Wild Brewing subforum. I did look at the Yeast Bay and Wyeast sites for those blends and both recommend not to use a starter as the culture will throw the ratios of the different strains/species out optimum. I also notice for the mélange, there are only 29 billion cells. Doesn't seem like enough especially when you divide that among the different isolates and considering the size of your beer. Wyeast did not comment on cell count.

Possibly consider using a Sacc strain for your primary then add the souring and funking species later.

Latest posts

Back