Starsan dilution advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogri

Reaction score
Just got my first bottle of starsan:ban: I've only used one-step and an alcohol spray for sanitation purposes so far and was wondering if I should use the same dilution ratio when making the solution for sanitizing bottles, fermenters, stirring spoon, can opener etc and also for the spray solution that's going to be used instead of the alcohol spray??
:mug:

Also, if there are any good tips and advice on using starsan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm all ears:fro:

Yup. 1 oz in 5 gallons.

I normally do a half batch of starsan in a bucket for brewday and fill my spray bottle up from the bucket.

I use 1/4 oz (the smallest amount on the bottle) in 1.25 gallons and use just that much. When done, I save whatever star-san is left in the spray bottle and a jug.

I usually only make 2.5 gallons at a time (using 0.5 ounces of StarSan). Also remember submerging things is not necessary. You can just fill up a spray bottle since it's a contact sanitizer. And, it will stay good for quite a while... I usually keep mine around for several weeks, but know others on here that use the same batch for months.

I use a batch of starsan for a couple of months. I mesure 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark. That's the proper dilution level for 1 gallon.

I use a child's medicine syringe (no needle) to measure tiny volumes of starsan accurately ie. 6ml for a gallon, 3ml per half gallon & 1.5ml per spray bottle :)
They are under $3 in the baby section of a pharmacy, and the pharmacist will probably give you a small one for free if you ask !!

I use a child's medicine syringe (no needle) to measure tiny volumes of starsan accurately ie. 6ml for a gallon, 3ml per half gallon & 1.5ml per spray bottle :)
They are under $3 in the baby section of a pharmacy, and the pharmacist will probably give you a small one for free if you ask !!

This is kinda what I do with Saniclean (made by the same company that makes StarSan). The dosage rate is different between the two products, but I use a 1 ml pipette to draw a 1 ml sample and add it to ~12 oz of water in a spray bottle. From there I can easily spot sanitize or open the bottle and empty the solution into my carboy and slosh it around and funnel it back when done, etc. This way, my 16 oz bottle of Saniclean will last me many, many years.

Excellent:ban:

Thanks guys and gal. Looks like my sanitising costs are going to get considerably less expensive:rockin:

Back