StarSan and beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonetexan

Reaction score
At change out of keg, I flush with hot PBW, rinse with hot water then rinse with Starsan. At some point, I just started leaving the starsan in the lines until ready for the next keg. Will this damage the bevlex tubing and cause off flavors?

I leave starsan in the kegs and lines until the next batch goes in and I've noticed no issues.

This is something that I was going to ask about also.
They sell the kits for cleaning your beer lines, but I always just do the same as you.
I can't imagine what would be better about the cleaner instead of doing things this way.

bevex (along with all PTFE, HDPE, and most polyethylene plastics) hold up fine with mild acids like starsan. vinyl tubing however will leech the plasticizers out after a while and will become stiff and possibly discolor.

I don't understand the need to go to such lengths... I use BLC every second or third keg, rinse with tap water, and put on the next keg. I never sanitize my lines (nor do any commercial bars, as far as I know), and never had a problem.

Back