Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LabRatBrewer said:
Star Wars came out when I was 9(ish). It was perfect, the light sabers were awesome! Last night, my son asked if we could watch Battle Star Galactica because the cylon. Six, is so "hot". He's 9. Kids are so much more advanced.

Your kid is awesome

The new Star Trek movie was fantastic!

Looks awesome. Seeing it tonight, in 3D. Don't really care about most movies in 3D but it's the only screen at the theater with reserved seating. Best seats in the house without having to show up an hour or more early = win.

Star Wars came out when I was 9(ish). It was perfect, the light sabers were awesome! Last night, my son asked if we could watch Battle Star Galactica because the cylon. Six, is so "hot". He's 9. Kids are so much more advanced.
Tell him to lay off the BPA for a few years!

Just found out JJ Abrams didn't watch Star Trek as a kid. I don't find that even slightly surprising.

Just found out JJ Abrams didn't watch Star Trek as a kid. I don't find that even slightly surprising.

I can believe that.

My biggest complaint is the pacing of the movie. There's way too much stuff going on all the time. They could have slowed it down and developed the plot/characters a little better IMHO. A good story-line is what made the original series work.

I just rewatched the first one. It has a similar manic pace to it as well. It's Transformers in space.

I did get some comments from a few people who saw it, but never watched the original series. They said they were pretty lost.

b-boy said:
I can believe that.

My biggest complaint is the pacing of the movie. There's way too much stuff going on all the time. They could have slowed it down and developed the plot/characters a little better IMHO.

I just rewatched the first one. It has a similar manic pace to it as well.

I did get some comments from a few people who saw it, but never watched the original series. They said they were pretty lost.

My thoughts exactly. As a huge fan of TOS, TNG, Enterprise, and Voyager (screw DS9), I did thoroughly enjoy both of the JJ Abrams reboots, but I did think the plot and character development suffered quite a bit from poor pacing. The movies really should have been longer to flesh things out more.

As for Wars v. Trek, it's tough. I'd give the edge to Star Wars, assuming we are only talking about the original trilogy (episodes I-III were garbage), and even then mostly just because of Empire Strikes Back. I'm probably biased though because I grew up on Star Wars, whereas I didn't get into Trek until I was in high school.

The new Trek is awesome. Yes, it's fast paced. I loved the tie-in with the old movies, and yet not. It's best to see them as re-imaginations, rather than more movies of the same people. Honestly, I could watch it a few times just to see all of the stuff I missed the first time. Some great special effects.

The new Trek is awesome. Yes, it's fast paced. I loved the tie-in with the old movies, and yet not. It's best to see them as re-imaginations, rather than more movies of the same people. Honestly, I could watch it a few times just to see all of the stuff I missed the first time. Some great special effects.

I agree, but I still miss the obligitory Captain Kirk soliloquy. The new guy doesn't do that very well.

I can believe that.

My biggest complaint is the pacing of the movie. There's way too much stuff going on all the time. They could have slowed it down and developed the plot/characters a little better IMHO. A good story-line is what made the original series work.

I just rewatched the first one. It has a similar manic pace to it as well. It's Transformers in space.

Yes it is. I also think the development of an alternate time line is a way of not pissing the nerd crowd (me) off when he violates the canon.

Stupid JJ Abrams. Go back and rewrite the ending to Lost.

Yes it is. I also think the development of an alternate time line is a way of not pissing the nerd crowd (me) off when he violates the canon.

Stupid JJ Abrams. Go back and rewrite the ending to Lost.

I think doing that was a great idea. No matter what happened, without doing that you'd piss people off. At least he got a good cast. Lucas would probably reinvent TNG with Andy Dick as Picard. Or maybe the dean from Community. Actually I'd pay to see that.

I think doing that was a great idea. No matter what happened, without doing that you'd piss people off. At least he got a good cast. Lucas would probably reinvent TNG with Andy Dick as Picard. Or maybe the dean from Community. Actually I'd pay to see that.

Better yet if they had Chevy Chase in there too. My mind refuses to even conjure that possibility.

And Worf would be entirely CGI.

*Crouches and covers head in fear*

I had this HUGE plan!!! Watch the Star Trek movies in order.........

10 minutes into #1 and I am like......"I can see the awesomeness.......but this is unwatchable"

I didn't get to it in time. It is SO dated. Special effects that make cartoons look high tech.....more make-up on Capt Kirk and Spock than Ru Paul.......

SORRY!!!!! Still a new Trekky convert, but I am gonna have to skip a bit.

*Crouches and covers head in fear*

I had this HUGE plan!!! Watch the Star Trek movies in order.........

10 minutes into #1 and I am like......"I can see the awesomeness.......but this is unwatchable"

I didn't get to it in time. It is SO dated. Special effects that make cartoons look high tech.....more make-up on Capt Kirk and Spock than Ru Paul.......

SORRY!!!!! Still a new Trekky convert, but I am gonna have to skip a bit.

FYI, not all of the Trek movies are good. Even most die hard Trek fans will admit the first movie was garbage. Start with #2 ;) Or better yet, start by watching the television series....

#1 was great when I was a kid. Watched it on a crappy OTA signal.

#2 is arguably the best ST movie from the original series cast. Most of the rest is just ok, but Effects have become SOOO much better since then.

#1 was great when I was a kid. Watched it on a crappy OTA signal.

#2 is arguably the best ST movie from the original series cast. Most of the rest is just ok, but Effects have become SOOO much better since then.

Still a big fan of 4. Of course it is more fan oriented imo.

Finally got to see the Star Trek movie today. I had no idea that the Klingon home world was so close that you could teleport there. And it's just a 30 second warp jump to the neutral zone. Who would have guessed?

Finally got to see the Star Trek movie today. I had no idea that the Klingon home world was so close that you could teleport there. And it's just a 30 second warp jump to the neutral zone. Who would have guessed?

They explained that it was because of Scotty's transwarp teleport that he developed in the first movie to teleport Kirk while in warp. I was quite sceptical as well until I heard that.

Erroneous said:
They explained that it was because of Scotty's transwarp teleport that he developed in the first movie to teleport Kirk while in warp. I was quite sceptical as well until I heard that.

I guess I don't remember enough of the last movie for that to make any sense. Mostly, I just remember trying to adjust to Skylar = Spock, NOT homicidal maniac.

I guess I don't remember enough of the last movie for that to make any sense. Mostly, I just remember trying to adjust to Skylar = Spock, NOT homicidal maniac.

I think it was a bit of a stretch but not the worst I've seen in sci fi. At least in the trek timeline the USS Excelsior which was the first of the class for the Enterprise b experimented with transwarp warp drive technology, though I never heard of using it on teleporters.

I saw the previous Star trek before watching all of heroes on Netflix so it wasn't a big deal for me. For people I know that did the opposite had the same issue.

It still takes me a few minutes of watching the new Star Trek before I stop expecting Spock to crack Kirk's skull open and steal his powers.

It was much the same way with me after watching Babylon 5. I could just never quite trust Chekov after that...

But what powers would he get? the power to see through women's clothes?;)

The power to bed any non-human female.

speaking of which... anyone else have the realization that when Kirk made it with all the alien chicks, he was technically committing bestiality? :D

I think we all know this pretty much puts an end to this debate.

image-1852546337.jpg

The power to bed any non-human female.

speaking of which... anyone else have the realization that when Kirk made it with all the alien chicks, he was technically committing bestiality? :D

I think the future definition of beastiality would exclude all sentient life. Sex with any non-sentient species.

Back