Star San in a swamp cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My swamp cooler has developed a strong fishy smell. Any thoughts on putting a half ounce of Star San in the water to kill whatever is making that smell?

Suggestions I have found online include adding a "cap full" of Febreeze (however much that is),
or a cup of distilled white vinegar, which I figure should have some of the same properties as Star San....

Empty, bleach it, then do Star San. Then empty after you're done fermenting a batch. I *think* I used Star San a couple months ago for my first swamp cooler. Never emptied it after removing the ferm container, and a quick check shows no odor, but mildew/mold spots below the water line. I could be totally off-track, but am thinking I'd keep vinegar away from fermentation areas.
BTW, thanks a lot. Now I've got another chore to attend today. :)

Lol! Just realized how my question could be misunderstood!

The smell is coming from my HOME'S swamp cooler, up on my roof!

My swamp cooler has developed a strong fishy smell. Any thoughts on putting a half ounce of Star San in the water to kill whatever is making that smell?
will probably work - assuming you use the right amount of star san. the stuff only works at certain concentrations, below that concentration the stuff is useless. i believe you need to add one ounce per five gallons. adding one ounce to a ten gallon tank won't work, since the stuff will be too diluted.

bleach will also work, and if you don't over-do it it won't damage the container. add one ounce of bleach and one ounce of white vinegar per five gallons and you're set.

Latest posts

Back