Star San - Ideal pH value?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moristron

Reaction score
Good day to you fellow brewers!

I read in John Palmer's 'How to Brew' that the pH value of water used with Star San needs to be lower than 3,5 in order for it to sanitise.

Anyone knows this is the case? Or does it work but it just doesn't last as long. I can't find any data on this in any document provided by Five Star Chemicals.

Do you have any idea how much a carbon filter can approximately lower waters acidity (if at all)? And would adding vinegar do the solution any good?

Many thanks!

Moris

Carbon filter won't change the pH. I target <3.0 with my starsan. I use phosphoric acid, but if your pH is too high, any acid would be better than none. Starsan is also mostly phosphoric acid, so you can always just increase the dosage.

Ascorbic Acid will lower your PH a bit, as well as get rid of chloramines. It can be used in very low doses.

Straight from the Star San tech sheet (http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech5.pdf)

"Solution must remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level"

Although I was listening to an episode of Brew Strong on Sanitation and the rep from Five Star quoted the pH of 3.5 or less.....so I think the 3.0 in the tech sheet is basically a CYA thing.

Thanks people.

I misunderstood the whole thing it a little.
I asked a Five Star Chem employee, and he told me:

"The pH of water should be around 7-8 before you add the star san. After adding the star san the solution should be below 3.5. The cloudiness is coming from hard water. Yes, the product is sanitizing, but it will go bad over the course of a day. If you want to prevent this from happening, us DI (distilled) water.

Do not add vinegar or anything else to the solution."

I can buy some distilled water, but over here (Amsterdam) it's not sold cheap. You think boiling water will improve the longetivity?

I will try and get equipment to measure this next time.

@ Indianhead Brewer: Adobe Acrobat didn't display that second page properly. I opened it with Illustrator and was able to read it.

"Solution must remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level."

Not sure how he figures it will go bad. I use normal well water with it, and reuse it for months. Ph stays below 3.

Not sure how he figures it will go bad. I use normal well water with it, and reuse it for months. Ph stays below 3.

There's nothing "normal" about well water, the mineral content is all over the charts from well to well. A high load of carbonates could be expected to raise the pH of the Star San solution above the effective level...

Cheers!

There's nothing "normal" about well water, the mineral content is all over the charts from well to well. A high load of carbonates could be expected to raise the pH of the Star San solution above the effective level...

Cheers!

True, but if it was good on day 1 with well water and a ph under 3, what would make it bad on day 2?

When I mix up a batch with tap water it gets cloudy within 10-15 minutes, water here is not bad at all, i use it to brew with (unfiltered) and all my beer seems to be good. I usually dump the StarSan in a week or so because I want to be sure, but am planning to get some test strips t see how long it really lasts. I did mix up a gallon with RO water back in Jan and it's still clear.

I can buy some distilled water, but over here (Amsterdam) it's not sold cheap. You think boiling water will improve the longetivity?

I'm still using a gallon jug of StarSan that I made with distilled water in November. No hint of the pH going over the threshold. One gallon of expensive water and a teaspoon of StarSan for 5 months of regular use is still pretty cheap :)

Back