Stainlessbrewing.com 1/2" HERMS coil??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattoak

Reaction score
For anyone who has the 1/2" 25' long HERMS coil with 90 degree bends at both ends...

Can you please tell me what the height distance is between the inlet and outlet? I need to drill holes in my keg and won't have the coil before I need to drill the holes. The website says 5"-6", but can someone who has one from stainless brewing give me a more exact measurement?

I don't mind having to spread the coils a bit if I drill them too far apart, but don't want to drill them too close together.

I would really appreciate it, thanks!

I don't have it but I would advise you to wait until you get the coil before you drill anything. Measure twice cut once.....or in this case, drill once. Stainlessbrewing even advises that on their page where they sell the coils..

I may wait until I have mine to drill the holes, however I am ordering the 25' 3/8" diameter coil. I digitally monitor HX out and MLT out temps, and control/adjust the HLT bath temperature based on those measurements. I am buying the 3/8" coil since my setup isn't dependent on having the HX out temp be equal to the HLT temp, and I already have the 3/8" compression fittings but would have to buy 1/2" fittings. Having the HLT temp closer to mash-out and sparge temp would only be beneficial anyway since it would mean less heat required to heat the HLT to sparge temp.

So I'm having Zach at stainlessbrewing make me a 3/8" coil the same diameter (10") as the 1/2" one, however it will obviously be shorter in height. So I want to separate the coils (which will help with heat exchange anyway) so that the inlet and outlet fittings are the same height or a bit larger than what the 1/2" HERMS coil is, so if in the future I decide to go with a 1/2" coil instead of 3/8", I will already have the couplers welded in the correct location and won't have to get another one welded on.

I show no evidence on my response to your private message, tried 3 times! But anyways the distance between my in/out on the 25' 1/2" coil is exactly 4 5/8" on center. I took the fittings off to measure.

Latest posts

Back