Stainless Steel FV Musings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald8_kop

Reaction score
Hey all

I only started my homebrew journey towards the start of the year but after doing a few Coopers and Mangrove Jack kits with my rudimentary plastic FV/heat mat/inkbird setup I have become increasingly concerned about keeping a firmer grip on the temperature now that the sun is coming out to play. Through luck I've managed to obtain a fridge but it's rather on the small side (91L volume) so my 30L tubs don't squeeze in and nor do any 25L ones seen online since they seem to be of similar height.

I did however stumble across this stainless one and have pretty much talked myself into it even though I'm probably jumping the gun slightly considering I don't even own a kettle yet (next on my list after this - probably once the following payday comes round). Any reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger once brewbuilder have doubly confirmed the dimensions for me?

Nice and Shiny FV

I like the airtight seal and inbuilt blowoff - the only (necessary) downside that jumps out at me is it being smaller in volume since I wouldn't wish to lose too much yeast when hitting peak fermentation but I have so far always brewed short to 19/20L anyhow so perhaps I'm overthinking. If I was to cold crash in it (my fridge goes below freezing) would the bucket be able to withstand the pressure were I to seal off the 90 degree blowoff barb for suckback purposes?

Also tempted to get a sight glass installed at the same time; I think they are typically designed for a HLT/BK but since the FV has no internal or external volume measurements would this not be a useful addition whilst I'm waiting to step up and start doing my own boil too? The novelty of seeing the colour/clarity is no bad thing either, plus I'd be able to get a small thermometer for the sake of 20 quid so that I can see at a glance that my inkbird probe is insulated/positioned well enough to be displaying a temperature that's in agreement.

Sight Glass and Thermometer

Any thoughts? If you managed to struggle through to the end of this essay then I offer my thanks!

Reading the description, I would be concerned about the " “Racktap” tap is a weldless fit tap kit with a racking tube attached to the back of it." this seems like a place that would be prone to failure. Ask any of the Foundry owners how much it sucks when the valve doesn't seal correctly.

In the 5 gal (40L) size, I would take a look at the Anvil offerings for inexpensive SS fermenter:

https://www.anvilbrewing.com/-p/anv-fv-7.5gal.htm
about the same price, but a much more popular (in the US) fermenter, with good support.

As far as having a sight glass on a fermenter, as long as you can take samples (and with the Anvil, you can use the tap to take them), you don't need to see what's going on inside. Sample regularly, measure the SG, watch (and taste) your brew as it's happening; trust the yeast to do their thing.

Reading the description, I would be concerned about the " “Racktap” tap is a weldless fit tap kit with a racking tube attached to the back of it." this seems like a place that would be prone to failure. Ask any of the Foundry owners how much it sucks when the valve doesn't seal correctly.

In the 5 gal (40L) size, I would take a look at the Anvil offerings for inexpensive SS fermenter:

https://www.anvilbrewing.com/-p/anv-fv-7.5gal.htm
about the same price, but a much more popular (in the US) fermenter, with good support.

As far as having a sight glass on a fermenter, as long as you can take samples (and with the Anvil, you can use the tap to take them), you don't need to see what's going on inside. Sample regularly, measure the SG, watch (and taste) your brew as it's happening; trust the yeast to do their thing.

Hey

Thanks for the detailed reply but I ended up getting the BB as it fits in the fridge I have (pretty sure I had looked at the Anvil with height being an issue.

96515254_10157105441716269_2619318082144829440_o.jpg

Had a small leak on the spigott but sorted it with an extra O ring. Happy otherwise!

Back