Stainless Quick Disconnects for tap hoses.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
I'm looking to add stainless quick disconnects to my taps, and also on the beer & CO2 lines. All I've been able to find are the plastic "corny" style disconnects.

Anyone got a line on something they recommend?

Thanks!
~Ted

Ah, sorry, I should've been more specific. I've got a regular tap -- a keg tap, like this one -- and I want to put the quick connects on it.

(I'm tapping a Sanke D-style.)

I want to quick-disconnect the beer line on the top and the gas-line on the side (where barbs are pictured.)
KT85D-L100913180725.jpg

Yeah, that's the only thing I've been able to find. One last refinement (again, I apologize for not saying all of this at the beginning. Gah!):

I'm looking for the female equivalent of that. That is, tap-threads and the receiver/female disconnect. Then, of course, I'll need the barbed male/insert side to put on my lines. That's the thing I've not been able to find.

(And I think that's all the information -- finally, only 3 posts to say it! -- about what I'm looking for! :D )

FWIW, I'm very grateful for your help. Sorry again for the piecemeal "I'm looking for..." feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's the only thing I've been able to find. One last refinement (again, I apologize for not saying all of this at the beginning. Gah!):

I'm looking for the female equivalent of that. That is, tap-threads and the receiver/female disconnect. Then, of course, I'll need the barbed male/insert side to put on my lines. That's the thing I've not been able to find.

(And I think that's all the information -- finally, only 3 posts to say it! -- about what I'm looking for! :D )
FWIW, I'm very grateful for your help. Sorry again for the piecemeal "I'm looking for..." feed.

lol! No worries, stuff happens :)

So you're looking for a way to attach ball lock posts to a beer shank (7/8-14 straight pipe thread, aka 5/8 BSP).
Gotta say that's a first, and a check through all of my parts sources came up empty, at least wrt something off-the-shelf.

There are a number of various post adapters available on the market (eg: chicompany.net where I get mine) but there's nothing for that large a thread. You'd probably have to find a transition fitting to get to one of the available adapter threads...

Cheers!

If i understand you correctly you’re gonna have to buy a bunch of parts to rig it up. Id guess the easiest is a ball valve with female beer thread x npt. Then you can get a qd adapter with male threads and a qd Plug. Ball valve is safer than qds which are more likely to leak.

Foxx, rapids wholesle, chi co, even ebay might have it.

If you are actually talking about corny qds then ignore.

Any way you could post pics of what you are working with. You may be over complicating/over thinking. Someone may have a simpler solution.

Awesome! Where did you find those? They look like my carbonator cap - I wonder if plastic soda bottles use 5/8 BSP threads?

Cheers!
I believe he is using the product you linked to earlier, just attached to his beer shanks on his Jockey Box, since the threading is the same. There are some really cheap stainless carbonator caps on amazon now too.

As for the OP though, if I am understanding you correctly, you want to be able to attach the ball lock (or pin lock) disconnect directly to your sanke tap, and then have a post attached to your line? This doesn't quite make sense to me, and like another poster wrote, you will have to assemble a number of different fittings to do this, and finding all those fittings in stainless may be difficult.

The easiest way I can think of, is to get the 1/4" MFL beer nut fittings, and then try to find a 1/4"FFL x 1/4" FFL to then attach a 1/4" MFL disconnect onto, but this seems really complicated already to try to do this.

I think a better question is what are you really trying to accomplish and what is your goal to be able to do with this potential setup?

Well, I was trying to avoid the corny-style ball/pin lock, because I didn't want the 45° bend. I was hoping for some nice, straight, in-line thing that goes directly onto my tap (threads like "beer nuts") with a female quick connect, then a straight-inline male connect for my hoses.

That's what I was thinking when I posted.

But now, having read about many of your ideas and thought about it more, the "inline" thing was just me being OCD and thinking it had to be "pretty" and "normal-looking", but functionality isn't really lost if I use connectors similar to what day-tripr linked, I was just getting hung up on having those big, bulky corny-style connectors on my hoses.

I might get over that, as I continue reading & thinking. :)

Also, one of the reasons that I'm trying to quick-connect everything is that I have quick-connect-based sanitizer & PBW pump plumbing, so I'm trying to arrange so that it's super easy to swap out hose#1 into the cleaning station and swap-in freshly-cleaned hose #2.

And everything y'all are saying makes total sense, it's just that I came here with a particular picture in my head, and it's resisting change, not unlike Garth did when the TV show got bought. ;)

Thanks!

what quick connects are you using for your sanitizer and PBW pump plumbing?

what quick connects are you using for your sanitizer and PBW pump plumbing?
Those are all 1/2". 1/2" NPT on the pump (Fem), 1/2" (male &barb) on the plumbing.

But I'm happy to get adapters at the cleaning end; the thing I'm getting hung-up on -- and, again, maybe I'll get over this as I continue to "talk it through" with y'all -- is wanting it to be "just so" at the "functional" (beer tap & gas-line) end.

I think we are using the term quick connect differently here then. I typically consider the ball lock or pin lock for serving to be a quick connect. For brewing, a camlock or hydraulic style is what I would call a quick connect.

I think I'm getting more confused by what you are asking for now though since we are using terms differently. You are currently using barbs for your sanke, right? Are you then looking to use a quick connect system like ball lock or pin lock?

If you are just looking for a way to also easily connect your cleaning system using the same system, the easiest method is to move everything to 1/4" flared fittings. There are adapters for sanke fittings, there are stainless 1/4" swivel nuts for the tubing, and then you can also use the 1/4" MFL fittings for your cleaning. This will require you to use a wrench though, and for any metal-metal fittings, you'll also need a plastic flared washer.

I think we are using the term quick connect differently here then

That's fair. I'm using these "quick disconnects" [AMAZON] on my pump & 1/2" lines. In my perfect world, that exact thing would be available, except the barbs would be gas/beer line sized, and the threads would be what's on my tap (5/8"?).

...Then, on my cleaning-plumbing, I'd have little "squid-legs" with the 1/2" quick male at one end and beer-tap quick female at the other, allowing me to rinse my smaller lines on the bigger plumbing. But that's separate from what I'm asking here; just included for completeness.

That's fair. I'm using these "quick disconnects" [AMAZON] on my pump & 1/2" lines. In my perfect world, that exact thing would be available, except the barbs would be gas/beer line sized, and the threads would be what's on my tap (5/8"?).

...Then, on my cleaning-plumbing, I'd have little "squid-legs" with the 1/2" quick male at one end and beer-tap quick female at the other, allowing me to rinse my smaller lines on the bigger plumbing. But that's separate from what I'm asking here; just included for completeness.
This is making a lot more sense to me now. I do consider those that you linked to be a quick disconnect - they are what I would call more of a hydraulic style quick disconnect, and what many used before camlocks became popular.

I think there could be a way to adapt that to a 5/8" BSPP fitting, but I don't know of anything that would be a direct fit. There is also most likely a gasket in there as well, which for some reason would be ok to me for brewing, but I feel differently with finished beer - I can't say that there is a logical reason for it though. I also don't know if those would seal up well for the long term in a cold environment, and it would not be fun to come down to your kegerator with 5 gallons all over the floor.

All this to say, I think you'll need to modify your desires, or find a custom metal shop to fabricate what you want at huge expense.

Latest posts

Back