Stainless kettle cleaning Scotch Brite pad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00se

Reaction score
I recently used a green scotch brite pad on a new Blichmann Boilermaker kettle and noticed the pad left micro-scratches on the surface of the kettle. Is this normal?

Yes. Using an abrasive like a green Scotch Brite will leave scratches on the polished surface. It won't cause any issues but you probably have a dull finish instead of the nice polish.

I recently used a green scotch brite pad on a new Blichmann Boilermaker kettle and noticed the pad left micro-scratches on the surface of the kettle. Is this normal?

It is normal for abrasive pads to leave scratch marks. Stainless steel is not impervious to scratching.

From Calphalon:
DO NOT USE abrasive cleaners or cleaning pads, oven cleaners or other caustic cleaning solutions, baking soda, bleach, or liquid household cleaners used for floors, porcelain, etc. to clean the pans. These types of cleaners will damage the finish and void the warranty.

for the outside
To restore the shine to the stainless steel, you may also use Bar Keeper’s Friend® cleanser (or other polish made especially for stainless steel) and a non-abrasive sponge or soft bristle brush.

Thanks for the response. I know the inside of the kettle will beaten up from scrubbing but I didn't think twice about the scotch brite pad before scrubbing the exterior of the kettle. Bar Keepers should restore some shine to the outside?

I look at minor scratches on stainless as the price you pay for getting the grunge off without using an excessive amount of time or effort.

SS kettles are tools, not jewelry.

Scratching the stainless with a scotch brite pad can create areas for rust. Re-passivating with a sponge and bar keeper's friend will help keep it from rusting as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back