Stainless brew kettle worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeSheetz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I moved to all grain brewing, I bought an inexpensive (read made in China) stainless brew pot so I could accomplish a full boil. When it arrived it had a couple of small blemishes but it seemed OK. Inside the pot, a grinder had been used to smooth the spot weld where the handles were attached. One of the grinds looked a little deep but since I didn’t know at the time if I would be sticking with all grain brewing I let it pass. Once I tried the all grain method I never looked back and have been brewing with this kettle for a number of years now with no problems in the spot weld grind areas. Recently, I started experimenting with the “No Chill” method and so the wort remains in the brew pot overnight at a level above the grind marks. Now, I’m beginning to notice the flaw in the stainless steel at the deep grind spot seems to be getting larger and showing as a black blemish. No rust stains or anything but I’m beginning to worry I might be contaminating my beer with heavy metals or something.

Do any of you stainless steel guru types out there feel like this might be poisoning the beer?

I had a similar issue with the seam on the bottom where the sandwiched bottom is welded. I took some SS polishing compound and that stopped the reaction.

You can help that area by cleaning with a passivation acid. The easiest to get a hold of is branded Bar Keepers Friend. Big box stores have it for less than $2. You can also use stronger acids and the right procedure to passivate the stainless.

I’m beginning to worry I might be contaminating my beer with heavy metals or something.

Do any of you stainless steel guru types out there feel like this might be poisoning the beer?

Disclaimer....not a guru by any means, just something "I've read on the internet"

I don't believe you have a concern for alarm or worry, the properties that make stainless, um stainless. Also make it highly unlikely to be a vehicle for contamination.

Back